Too much spit.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bassace, May 12, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Good day?! He!!, that's a GREAT LIFE!!

2. Bassace

Bassace New Friend

May 6, 2011
    De Pere, WI
    Well, I tried the hot shower/long tones and the spit problem was all but gone. I could make it to the end of a 2 page song before I had to empty.

Ok Rowuk, what's the story? Do I need to pop a Xanax everytime I play? Start studying Pranayama?

I have rehearsal in 45 minutes, and I'm pretty sure Darrell is not going let me shower at his house before we play.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bassace,

you need to google my Circle of Breath. I offer that your tonguing is WAY too heavy. If you can get your breathing "round" and articulation added once the rest is cleaned up, you will discover a FAR more efficient way to play. My "confirmed" suspicion is that your tonguing "jump starts" the lip vibration (and unloads a lot of spit at the same time). Once the entire sound producing mechanism is supported ONLY by your breath control (which requires a relaxed body and as little tongue explosion as possible), you add only a small bit of tongue to sharpen up the leading edge. The Circle of Breath posts go into detail about this.

If you have any questions, feel free to post or PM.

4. Bassace

Bassace New Friend

May 6, 2011
    De Pere, WI
    Here's an update.

I checked out the Circle of Breath posts and determined that I was using way too much tongue attack on my first note, or after a longer rest. I also think I was blowing too hard for the Amado water keys on my horn, blowing past the hole instead of through it.

With all the help from you guys, I have decided that the cure for my problem is to buy a new trumpet and a new mouthpiece or two. Now, who wants to help me break the news to my wife?

5. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE

Only 1 ????? hmmmm :dontknow::think::noway:

Dean_0

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I will do this while under the influence of a versid drip. She should agree to ANYTHING under those conditions.

7. Bassace

Bassace New Friend

May 6, 2011
    De Pere, WI
    In that case get me one for her, and one for her sister.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I will probably be in Menomenee Falls in December.....

9. Bassace

Bassace New Friend

May 6, 2011
    De Pere, WI
    Playing in Menomenee Falls?

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You would do anything, Gary, under that influence!! It's supposed to be given to the wife!