Too much spit.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bassace, May 12, 2014.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No, working. My day job is something unrelated to music.

2. MAZ

MAZ Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2007
    I have the same problem with excessive water in my horn. I think it started after a mouthpiece change 8 months ago. The horn rarely drains out the tuning slide Amado key with most of the water collecting at the 2nd and 1st slides. I clean the horn regularly. I have other horns with Amado keys and none have the same problem.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are many aspects to spit. The first is to "minimize" it, then we know if we need to blame the trumpet construction. That being said, there are some pretty "dumb" design trumpets that do not allow the spit to collect where it can be easily emptied.

I am very cautious about believing that spit problems on one horn are not present on another. Every time I have worked one on one with players claiming this, we discover that there is no valid statistics - the reason that it was not noticed on one instrument was environmental. They ended up proving to themselves that during the same rehearsal an the same room, the instruments had identical parameters. What we believe is very often supported by a hunch and not real testing.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    True enough... but it's that night job that maintains my sanity!