Too picky?? New Strad question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jjpetlovr, Mar 24, 2009.

1. jjpetlovr

jjpetlovr New Friend

Feb 9, 2009
    Hi, I am wondering if I am being too picky. I just received my new 180S37 Bach Strad yesterday. There seems to be some build-up/residue in a few places... around the bell, at the braces nooks crannies. And there are some places that just look rather dingy. Not horribly, but when you unpack a new horn, you really want it to sparkle. Should I be concerned about any of that stuff? It is here on a trial basis, so I don't want to get to involved in the cleaning of it, but I do want to know if it will actually clean. Any ideas, thoughts, wise cracks???? ;-)
    Thanks in advance,
    Julie

2. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Don't worry you are not being picky!;-) I agree, new horns SHOULD look nice and shiny.

You probably paid A LOT for that new horn. And if you think your not getting your moneys worth, call the place you got the horn from and I am sure they'll gladly replace your horn.

Unless you got it on eBay, but that's a different story...

Good Luck!:-)

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Sometimes with a new horn you may find buffing rouge in the tubing. If so, it needs a bath. The outside of the horn should be clean. Are you sure it's a "new" horn.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If you paid good money for it, just call them and tell them what you found and that you want another. When you get the replacement check the serial # to see if they just cleaned it up. That's OK, but you shouldn't have to clean it. And make sure they pay shipping both ways.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I agree with ALL of the above.

You may have a horn that was sent to others before you got it.

Even with buffing rouge the factory should have cleaned it.

My Schilkes always came with the blue plastic on the horns and perfect condition.

Same with my Lawler and my Eclipse, in perfect and spakling clean condition.

You do NOT have to put up with that!

6. jjpetlovr

jjpetlovr New Friend

Feb 9, 2009
    Yes, it is "supposed" to be new. It is from Woodwind/brasswind and it was full price. Also, the valves seemed to have never had oil, so I am thinking it is new. Good thought though. I will give them another call. Thanks

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    WW/BW is notorious for sending horns that have been previously sent to others. (That is what I was referring to)

They also will take the horn back and send it back to you again. (like veery wrote)

Be careful...if it is not what you want, send it back.

You can also get a great deal, maybe better at Chuck Levin's Washington Music.

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    If you love how it plays, hang on to it! A great horn is more valuable than a little tarnish or buffing residue.

If it only plays ok, send it back. Write donw the SR and hope the next one is different and better.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Ditto. I'm about to by a new horn, and Chuck's has the best price that I've found.

Mike

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BRAVO!

At the end of the day, we can get hung up on any number of factors. If the horn is a player, then musicality does not get held up by hardware. If it plays average and looks average, then the price should be VERY special.

I would not get on any companies case for sending out/taking back trial horns. If they take it back, what are they supposed to do - send it back to the manufacturer for an overhaul? Of course someone else will get that horn!

If you want a horn made just for you, then a mass produced Bach is not the right horn. I have always bathed all of my horns first to make sure that nothing from the manufacturing process is left inside and to insure proper lubrication of the valves and slides.

A horn is not like a new automobile with that wonderful smell of carcinogenic new plastic..........