Too tired to practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Dec 13, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Am I atypical? I truly never get tired enough to NOT play the trumpet daily. Even on long days at work, I will get trumpet playing in for at least 45 minutes, even if it means going out into the garage at 1 am just before going to bed. Oh sure, it means I wil only have between 3-4 hours to sleep that evening... but I's just gotsa play that trumpet every day, and never get tired trying to achieve that goal.

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    You probably got plenty of practice going with little sleep when being overworked as a junior doctor.

--bumblebee

3. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    Remember a little bit of something is better than alot of nothing:thumbsup:

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I agree with coolerdave regarding, "Kind of depends on what your goals are." When I was playing professionally, I played/practiced constantly whether I liked it or not. Now that I don't have to, if I don't feel like it - I don't.

But for those who have to, one thing that really stuck with me was a statement by Dave Liebman. He said (paraphrasing), "Practice isn't something you like or don't like. It's just something you [must] do." For me, that took the conflict out of regarding whether or not I felt like it or not. I just practiced. It was something I "just did".

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If the music you play is challenging your skills, and you play a wide variety, it seems to me that you'll engage all the skills and techniques you'll need.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uhm -- maybe that is because you are super human. ROFL ROFL ROFL ((here is the picture people --- GM here is a super human, aka a super hero, which all super heroes from superman, to batman dress in leotards ---- so we have GM, out in his garage at 1 AM dressed in his leotards playing, I mean tooting his horn -- so to speak!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    "Practice isn't something you like or don't like. It's just something you [must] do."
    That's a good quote, Im going to remember that one.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    but it's how much you do when your tired

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I practice medicine, I practice trumpet. I make less errors with my trumpet...

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    but you save more lives, and benefit more people (that otherwise couldn't be helped by a regular trumpet player) by practicing medicine --- so don't forget that part of the equation!!!!