Tooh

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdshankles, Jan 16, 2007.

1. jdshankles

jdshankles New Friend

Nov 28, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Hey Manny,

Hope things are well with you.

I have been paying attention to a lot of what you say about using "tooh" when playing. I have found it very helpful in my own playing, however, I have been feeling that I can't seem to maintain it. When in the upper register, G to High C, it sounds beautiful and feels great, but I can't seem to maintain the "tooh". For example, in brass quintet rehearsal, I'll be playing on a piece and it will sound great for the first quarter of the piece, but then after awhile the upper register seems to become "tee" even though I am thinking "tooh", thus thinning out and weakening the sound. I don't feel too tired, but is it an endurance thing? A focus thing?

Also, does the "tooh" approach apply to piccolo as well?

Thank you for the time you put into this site.

--jD

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear JD,

It's a question of concentration, that's all it really is. You likely have a habit of allowing your chops to do whatever they want and you are trying to develop the abilty to maintain what they're doing fulltime. The little changes that occur are gradual, insidious... by the time the TOOH has changed it's too late and you get frustrated. You give in to what's familiar and by the time you notice, it's past the point you were working on.

I guess what I'm saying is you CAN do it. But you need to be more insistent and try this without distraction. You CAN do it.

Yes, it applies to the piccolo playing as well.

ML

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Isn't Manny the Tooh a Disney figure? (just kidding - but maybe we need a Tooh Bear to remind us of what is good!)
    Between embouchure, tongue position and body tension there are unlimited combinations that let us "get the notes out". You are used to a combination that is less "tooh" intensive. We are creatures of habit and it takes a great deal of will power to break old habits. Start slowly and practice diligently - you'll make it.

4. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Jonathan -- I'm with you, man. I struggle daily to ensure I stick with the "tooh". But I know this much: It works! Remember Russian Christmas Music last month? One HUGE breath and "tooh" all the way.

I agree, though, it is SO hard to remember that when playing the extreem upper register...but the few times I remember, it really helps.

We can maybe compare "tooh's" when we start rehearsals for conc band again in a few weeks....

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The "Tooh" upstairs really works well if you think falsetto. I know it sounds weird, but it works!

6. jdshankles

jdshankles New Friend

Nov 28, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks Manny and everyone for your responses. i'm working on it as we speak:) Again, I really appreciate the help.

Zeller, we'll see who's "tooh" is better in a couple weeks.

Just kidding, but I can't wait for band to start up again.

--jD