"took delivery" and Monette trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tatakata, Feb 11, 2008.

1. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY

You just made my day,man.:)

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    All kidding aside, Monette has influenced the industry in many ways. Unfortunately, I think many manufacturers, large and small, feel more comfortable raising their prices significantly more than regular inflation would dictate (or maybe I should say that manufacturers feel comfortable charging more for better raw materials and craftsmanship, as well as more R&D, all of which are undoubtably good things).

I also think that he set an early standard and created a niche in the trumpet world for personalized service. To my knowledge, there were very few places in the early 80s where you could go and talk to someone about the kind of trumpet you wanted. Most were left to choose from stock models, and then go for aftermarket adjustments (i.e. "conversions"). There are now several companies that offer personalized service. Although I have never dealt with either, NYTC and Eclipse come to mind. It's a good thing that there are places who will treat trumpet players with the same amount of individual attention that they would get from a custom string maker.

Just a few thoughts...

-Jimi

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    ttkt,
    that is a great question. I wish I could tell you when that phrase was planted in my head. Maybe it is on the Monette website somewhere, or maybe Dave Monette is more than a just trumpet builder and Yoga teacher...................... I have looked through my emails and found no references.
    As a Mac and Monette owner, I can agree with Jimi. I would add Palm and perhaps Bose to that list of "different" products emulated my many.

Felix,
    I thought New York trumpets came in violin cases with a bouquet of black roses.......................

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Palm ... sigh ... I used to be such a fan. The TX is OK, but I have serious gadget envy with things like the iPhone on the market now. Palm has not innovated in years. :(