Tooth Cap

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Churchman, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    I've just had a tooth capped, at the back. It has returned my bite to what it ought to be, after years of difference. I'm concerned, because I can see the front bite/angle is now different.

Now I'm going to be a wally - I don't want to pick up a horn and play and find out whether its all changed. Might it have done? Anyone? Before I do try?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you think it will, likely it will. You'll never know unless you play. So what, if it does? If it does, persevere and rebuild your embouchure.

My teeth were decayed so badly, that I had to have most pulled and replaced with a full upper denture and a lower partial except for 5 natural teeth and all this dental surgery was done post cardio surgery and I'm now back enjoying playing multi brass instruments as I did prior in my comeback.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just grab the horn and play. Even if things have changed, there is a process that starts by PLAYING. If you have a decent daily routine, start with that.

I had a major operation in February and was not allowed to play for 3 months. I too was "concerned" that certain things would be different. Well, my secret is: a lot of things have changed, but they do not influence the stability of my playing. There are just things that I focus on more than I did before the operation. Everything is good!

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Rowuk is spot on - get playing.
    I too had surgery to my neck in Sept 2012, had malignant cancer in my thyroid as well as a neck issue.
    They took both thyroids, and 2 para-thyroids as well as getting rid of a lump on my neck - post op was not a pretty sight. I was told I may never play again, was told to take it easy for 3 months - and had Radioactive Iodine treatment over Xmas 2012.

To put things in perspective, I was playing above High C before the end of October 2012, and did a concert in November. The "May never Play again" was a shock, but also a motivator. I needed to know if I could play, and if I could play the way I want, to please me. Get it over and done with - but be sensible.

BTW - while in isolation for my radioactive treatment over the Xmas, I loaded my laptop with DVDs and with Greg Spence's Mystery to Mastery. Those techniques just do re-program the brain, and then get on with life. Keep moving the mind forward.

There is no dress rehearsal for your life, make the best of the one you have, and accept change - go with the flow, but enjoy and share your loves. Don't give up, just get on and live.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    If you feel your bite is now "wrong" despite what the dentist told you they'd done it may be worth talking to him or her to check/confirm the setting. I had a filling replacement done in June which even after adjustment during the session just felt funny, and looked a bit strange to me in the mirror. I went back to the dentist that afternoon and he checked the bite using some sort of blue marking paper, then filed a bit more away from the new filling and all was good. I am sure he had done what he considered a good job in the morning but that didn't stop him seeing something that could be improved, and he fixed it up.
    Just a thought, and maybe only my own experience. I did wonder about my horn playing that day, but didn't actually try it between the two sessions so I'll never know if it would have been significantly, or at all, affected.

--bumblebee

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Churchman, your range may have increased!
    Maybe even an octave!!

How can you possibly wait to find out ! ? :-o

7. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    Having picked up the horn, before I then went on holiday for two weeks, I can confirm that Sofus is closest! My accessible range (though not easily useable) had increased by about 3 tones (and it wasn't due to resting things, I never over used in the first place).

Yup, just get back on and see what happens!

bumblebee likes this.
  8. ominous pancake

ominous pancake New Friend

Jul 12, 2014
    Jon faddis uses his gap to play into the triple high register... wayne bergeron uses his to play into the triple high register... rashawn ross uses his gap to play into the triple high register... cat anderson uses his gap to play into the triple high register... pops McLaughlin uses his gap to play into the triple high register.... filling in the gap? BAD MOVE BRO! I wish I had a gap!

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, ominous pancake!

One of the guys that I went to college with had a chipped front tooth that he had capped. Overnight his range went down about an octave, but he did get his high notes back plus a dazzling smile.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you really believe what you just posted, you have your gap........

Seriously, all of those guys got to where they are, not by leveraging a gap, rather by not trying to conquer the upper register. All of them have a very low tension school of playing that is well documented. They teach the same process! They have earned the upper register by intelligent, result based practice. They are proof that it doesn't matter if you have thick or thin lips.