Tooth pain while playing...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pakatak, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Pakatak

Pakatak New Friend

This problem mostly has been bothering me for a few months tops, but only recently has it become a serious issue. While playing, my front teeth (sometimes top only, sometimes bottom only, on rare occasion both) start to hurt. Until recently, it was a minor ache that very rarely happened, where as now it's happening once or twice a week, and the pain is so much that I can't play through it any more. If I had to describe how it feels, it's like a really sharp vibration is going through the tips of my teeth.

I visited the dentist a week ago and brought it up, and he had never encountered such an issue. The only similarity between the days that this happens is that it *usually* is days where my chops aren't in the best of shape. Has anyone ever ran into this issue or have some ideas/suggestions for me?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hi Pakatak, and welcome to TM!

I suffered some tooth trauma, and it did hurt for a number of weeks. My dentist in Germany sort of glued a bite guard (sort of like what football players wear, but smaller) on to my front teeth. After three weeks, she unglued it and let me play, with the promise that I would wear the bite guard at night. The injured tooth did vibrate, which was weird, but it didn't hurt, and has stuck with me much longer than predicted.

Have you been through any sort of tramua to your mouth or anything else strange?

Good luck!

3. Pakatak

Pakatak New Friend

I'm not quite sure what you'd classify tooth trauma as... I mean, I haven't done anything terrible to my mouth, the worst being that someone nudged my trumpet into my teeth while I was playing. It didn't do any significant damage though.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If the human body would only be predictable.

A mouthguard is easy protection. I'd give it a shot before doing something invasive! Pain is pain and it does come from somewhere!

5. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    If you do something and it hurts and it doesn't hurt otherwise, that is a pretty clear indication that that something is the cause. Pain has an important function: to stop you from doing those things that are bad for your body.

Since there is correlation between when your chops don't feel good and the pain, perhaps it is because you are using too much pressure on those days to compensate and your teeth are paying the price.

If you continue bearing the pain as it gets worse you may find that you have aggravated a minor problem into a major one. It might be best to just take a break on those days you feel that your chops aren't that good. It might not be convenient, but you might regret not doing it in the long run.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I had a similar problem - ran it past the dentist - and my GP - they reckoned I had a very slight infection and that I might be trying too hard - mouthpiece on face with too much pressure. Since I have concentrated on relaxing and body centering, I have had no recurrence. I hope it is as simple for you - get it checked though.

7. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    I would go see the dentist right away!

8. rebx_92530

rebx_92530 New Friend

Jul 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    ya i had issues with that. You could really jsut be pushing too hard, even if you didn't before when I get stressed (like too many concerts) I tend to push a bit more, but you need to get out of that habit cause it can ruin your chops. I had to keep thinking MORE AIR!

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    x

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I have mentioned in the past, here, that I have a protege who is 13 YOA and wears braces on her teeth. She was having pain from the braces on both of her lips. I started her on deep breathing exercises and had her play very long pedal tones, being cautious to not allow the intonation or volume to vary, while playing as softly as possible. Her embouchure has become almost totally pressure free and her lips aren't being cut up by the braces. This will be an effectice method to reduce your pressure problems as well.

By the way, our community concert band played an outdoor concert last Saturday and little Becca soared right up into the extreme upper range with total control and wonderful tone. Her former private teacher was thrilled for her. He sat third chair along side of her.

OLDLOU>>