Toothpaste Defeats Trumpeteering

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tedh1951, May 27, 2008.

1. Shillelagh

Shillelagh New Friend

May 31, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Hehehe, I totally agree!

In fact, I even have a smaller toothbrush and toothpaste in my trumpet case and use it a lot. I brush my teeth before I play my horn all the time.

D.

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    HAHA... that seems like the most likely scenario, doesn't it? :cool:

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    maybe you have different toothpaste down under, but the stuff that I am familiar with in Germany and the States seems to have a "foaming agent" that fills your mouth up, no indication of dryness. I've said it before, trumpet players are MASTERS of self deception.
    I have found that the truth is generally the least amount of baggage that you can carry when performing regularly. Every additional myth makes life harder.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Thank you all. I tried to duplicate the dry mouth result too but it wouldn't happen for me either - I'm pleased that you all seemed to have reached the same conclusion. I too like clean teeth before playing - I guess it must be part of my mate's 90%.

5. Joe N.

Joe N. New Friend

Mar 22, 2007
    Unless he's using some weird kind of toothpaste I doubt it

6. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    If I try and play soon after brushing, my mouth does feel dry. I try to eat or drink something (something besides just water, usually coffee) and it feels better.

At the national trumpet comp. this year I didn't eat anything before my semi-finals performance and my mouth was pretty dry. I made sure I ate a muffin and some OJ before the finals round...no dryness and felt great.

They say its not the toothpaste, but I think it is :dontknow:

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hey All, I've checked with Bugle Boy and he is adamant that it is the toothpaste - so much so that he will only brush with clean water before a gig. Some of our toothpastes have quite a bite, and I've just found one that makes for dry mouth - so, if in doubt - brush without the paste.:D

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Try using toothpaste and vodka--that will provide some real strange results. "Synergy" is the scientific word.

I, uhh, used to do a lot of "research."

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hmmm, sshynerg-hic-y, yesssh, that sheems to work -hic. Now the lipsssh won' workk.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Rookie!:cool: