Toothpaste Defeats Trumpeteering

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tedh1951, May 27, 2008.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well I'm a beer man and the rendered down potatoes don't sit real well with my low carb diet.

2. Phil Rinaldi

Phil Rinaldi New Friend

Jan 15, 2007
    Garwood, NJ
    Anything with alcohol in it will dry out your mouth. Now, I do not know if certain toothpastes do have alcohol in them, but I do know that alcohol does causes dryness.

3. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    if you have this problem (dry mouth), stick a mint or a piece of mint gum in your mouth right as u go on stage, and it will help you produce saliva. works every time

4. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I googled the toothpaste I use (Crest with Scope) and it does have alcohol in it, so maybe that is the problem. Looking at a few others, not many list alcohol as an ingredient. I might switch to another toothpaste and see if it helps the dryness.

5. BradH

BradH New Friend

Feb 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    I am a volunteer bugler with BuglesAcrossAmerica. We play taps at military funerals and patriotic events. At my first funeral for a soldier killed in action in Iraq I kept sipping water. But as soon as the rifle team's commander ordered "present arms" (my signal to play taps) my mouth become dry as the Sahara desert. Nerves no doubt. I've played concerts, shows etc and by nature don't get nervous...but this truly was the solo of my life. Tons of military brass including a General in attendance, and more important than that is the soldier's family and friends. Most important of course is honoring the fallen soldier. I use chap stick more now but a friend who gets dry mouth from diabetes suggested a mouth spray called Oasis. I have not tried it yet but will pick some up this weekend at the drug store. I played several times for memorial day and did fine with the chap stick but admit a funeral is much more difficult emotionally. Hope this helps

6. lovelax

lovelax New Friend

Dec 16, 2007
    Singapore
    yea i do brush my teeth before playing and i actually get too much saliva which playing.
    maybe his mouth dried up because of the weather (a guess),
    take some sweet stuff or think about food to stimulate your saliva glands?:lol: