Top Lip Bicycle Injury

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garageguy, Nov 29, 2015.

1. garageguy

garageguy New Friend

Feb 26, 2010
    Wisconsin
    About a month ago the front wheel on my bicycle locked up when I applied the breaks--over the handlebars I went with my chin, lips and nose taking the brunt of things when I hit the asphalt. Needless to say, when all was said and done my face was a mess. I immediately noticed a hard, round, purple, marble shaped bruise appeared on my top lip where my mouthpiece usually rested. To my horror, once the swelling went down, I tried blow the horn, but found it impossible to get a note out [i.e. it sounded like all three valves were depressed 1/2 way and nothing but static and air came out]. When I try to "buzz" without the horn, only two thirds of the top lip [right of center] moves. I know it will take time and patience to rebuild. Any thoughts on getting things to do in order to get back on track again?

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Yes, when I was 9 I was in a playground and a kid picked a long wooden plank he swung it and hit my bottom lip. Plus after the accident he realized the end that hit me had a long nail sticking out. was leading all over the place.
    Yes I did get that purple bruise and stuff. I took a good long rest to give time for my lies to recover. It was 4 months. Then got back started again and I was able to get back. Just remember that if you cannot get the high notes don't kill yourself with your unresponsive lips. it needs time to recover. Sorry but you just got to wait or next week just get yourself started with easy lip buzzing exercises and if you think you are feeling better accompany the exercise with your mouthpiece.
    BEST WISHES AND I HOPE YOU HAVE A SPEEDY RECOVERY!,

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Time and gentle exercise is all that I can suggest, not being a physio or a doctor, nor having had that particular injury happen to me. Hopefully you will get some good advice/information, but I had heard that after a trauma to part of your body the muscle strength/condition there can disappear almost instantaneously needing to be recovered/regenerated, and I've heard (for arms and legs anyway) that takes two and more weeks.

I had a face-to-road accident about 6 years ago and broke my nose but luckily my helmet projected forward enough to limit the damage. I'm not sure my jaw/mouth would have been protected if I'd hit the road a different way, so I'm feeling lucky. I hope you have a full recovery (including trumpet playing).

--bumblebee

4. garageguy

garageguy New Friend

Feb 26, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the advice. I had hoped for a "quick fix". It's hard to go from playing daily to doing nothing. Had an appointment with the ENT today [she plays with the local symphony]. Her advice was the same--take it easy, wait at least 2--3 months before doing anything but lip buzzing (without the mouthpiece or horn) and just buzz with very loose lips to get the blood flowing. Muscles are still torn up, even though outward appearance indicates otherwise, still swelling of the soft tissue. Her take is a may take close to a year to see any real progress--if rushed, could do permanent damage. That's hard to hear after being a pretty hard charger all my life.

5. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I know a guy that switched to bass trumpet after an injury. He eventually went back successfully to the trumpet. Bud Herseth got his face smashed in an accident. He was back in a year but had to switch from a 7 rim to a 1 to accommodate scar tissue.

6. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
  7. garageguy

garageguy New Friend

Feb 26, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks so much for the information. When I hear that others have had trauma to their lips and found a way to recover helps a lot. The common thread seems to be patience and measured persistence. I appreciate that you took the time to reply.

8. garageguy

garageguy New Friend

Feb 26, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I pulled up the youtube link. It means a lot to hear from someone that's "been there" and was able to find a way to "come back". The folks on this board are the BEST! Thanks, again.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Been there, done that just as I was about to start 70 years ago, and several times since and in recent years I've had to rebuild my embouchure.. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.