top lip problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldgit, Sep 9, 2010.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    having a problem with my top lip, lost my top 2 open notes ( beginner so only the g and b flat) and my top lip feels a bit numb in the middle under the nose.
    Question: have rested for a couple of days and it still feels odd should i carry on or rest more?

thanks and sorry if this has been asked before
    steve

2. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    is your embouchure right? cus i pretty sure your lip feeling funny isnt right. you should get a book to show you the correct position of your lip. i recommend "how brass players do it". hope that helps

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Anybodies range can vary by as much as a fifth with no reason for concern. My second oldest boy is moving out and I helped him renovate his house. 2 days of putting flooring in KILLED everything for me over G above high C for 3-4 days. That was a real bummer because I had a jazz band rehearsal during that time. A cold, intestinal issues, blood pressure, hydration can all affect our playing. Extreme rest is a common sense thing if we have beaten ourselves up or are sick. If that doesn't apply, get back to practicing.

2 notes is NOTHING when considering how inconsistent our bodies are! ANALysis often starts where the sun don't shine..............

4. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    thanks guys, told the wife we need to move to the north of england, germany or the USA today, when she asked why i told her i need a trumpet teacher ha ha
    will keep wortking at it.
    thanks again
    steve

5. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    But certainly the top lip feeling numb can't be a good sign.........? I don't think I've ever experienced that. Pain? Yes. Numb? Not that I can recall.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The top lip does most of the buzzing work .... I've had numb lips but only in the first 2 weeks. You might try some "lip flapping" to loosen them up before playing. It's the horse sound, like how a horse makes that loud breathing sound. It's supposed to remove lactic acid (or something like that, can't remember exactly).

Maybe we could ship you a teacher. Are there any for sale on Ebay???:dontknow:

Turtle