Top Ten

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AndrewWK, Sep 19, 2004.

1. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: Top Ten :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Here is a challenge for you guys......
    What are ten exersices that would help my range.(breathing, stuff that has personally helped you, anything.)

Thanks,
    AndrewWK

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Somethin that helped me

"Quit thinking and just play the @$% horn, Tim."

lol, Bear

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Bear, I don't want to be rude, but that's pretty poor advice. Chops problems can't be solved by ceasing to think and just playing the @$% horn. If that were truly the case, then people like Carmine Caruso wouldn't be known for being the teachers that they are.

Some things that have always helped me have been long tones and tons of articulation exercises utilizing single, double and tripple tonguing. Others swear by doing flexibility studies. Some people are big time proponents of the Superchops or Balanced Embouchure methods. Some swear by the Claude Gordon Systematic approach.

First things first, find a good teacher that knows chops mechanics and go from there.

4. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Practise the Preparatory Studies from the Walter Smith "Top Tones" book.

The Preparatory studies are often overlooked since they are in the preface of the book, yet they are considered by many pros to be the most valuable.

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    naw trickg,
    No offense taken. The reason that lil saying helped me so much was that I wsa always very technical and detailed about EVERYTHING. i.e: Top lip must be positioned just so for this note, bottom lip just so for this, yadda yadda yadda. Finally my teacher got mad at me and said, "quit thinking and just play". I did and I've skyrocketed from there. I also agree that mechanics and fundamentals are good things. Wasn't tryin' to offend anyone. What I do now to keep and build my range is a bunch of clarke/arbans stuff up the 8va plus scales/modes in all multiple tounges and dynamics. The trick isn't to hit to the note. The trick is to own and control the note in all dynamics. Nothin' more entertaining than to see which loudmouth trpt player can hold a ppp dubba g the longest, lolol. Anyways, peace out all. Bed time for this poor kid.

Bear

6. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Would you guys recommend playing songs up an octave?

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Bear,

I understand your perspective and in fact, I had a great deal of success with the "stop thinking and play the horn" approach, but I still have some pretty serious chops limitations for the kind of music that I play, and I won't ever be able to get past that until I really sit down and put forth some focused effort with a good chops teacher. But who has time for that these days? Certainly not this married father of 2 1/2. (Recently got a dog!) These days I barely seem to get in even maintenance practice.

Anyway, that's why I believe that if there are some serious issues with range and endurance that can't be aleviated with bulk practice of the fundamentals, I think a good chops doctor is in order for young Andrew.

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Some have suggested this. Playing easy etudes etc. up an octave after a suitable warmup. There are so many methods and ideas out there that you can just be completely overwhelmed.

For example, one expert might say take a half hour to warm up and the same procedure for warming down. That is an hour a day warming up and down. Others think that is a waste of practice time. Do a solid 10 minute warm up. Just one of the many places you can get contradictory advice.

In some ways you have to find what works for you. Common wisdom would suggest a warm up and warm down and build your upper range in a systematic way. I personally have benefited from playing etudes up an octave. My range has increased. But it just is one part of a system. Read Pops signature again ... he has the philosophy right!

"It is the smart application of hard work that gets you there."

Jim

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    removed

10. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    What is a chop doctor? Do they teach you exercieses that wil build the chops and air?