Top Ten

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AndrewWK, Sep 19, 2004.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    removed

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Diz, I have found over the years that the best players are often not the best instructors. They know what they did to get them where they are, but many don't have a fundamental understanding of what their chops are actually doing and why. Maybe Andrew is getting some questionable advice from his instructor. Do you remember that incompetent band director I referred to? He was trying to help me with a solo piece for contests one day when I finally thought to myself, "this guy is wacked!" I went and asked someone else who I thought would know the skinny and it turned out that my assertion that my band director didn't know what he was talking about was correct.

Or, it could be that young Andrew is simply looking for a concordance. Maybe he is taking the advice of his instructor, but he wants confirmation from us that what his instructor is telling him is accurate. Whatever his reasons, he should be able to come here, openly ask a question, and find a safe haven of friendly advice - not criticizm for asking. This isn't the cage after all.

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    removed

4. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    My lesson teacher is great and can play very well. (www.berttruax.com) Not all good players are the best of teachers. My band directors are very good players but could not teach a fish how to swim. Bert has taken lessons from the greats in the Cal area before moving to Dallas where he has played for the Dallas Symphony for 23 years before freelancing. he has taken from James Stamp himself and has tuaght me more about the Stamp method than what i would have gotten from the book. The problem is that i only have lessons every other week because he lives an hour away from me. right now he is working with me on my air and mp buzzing to get that clean crisp sound and thus translating it to my trumpet. I have just started so we have not worked with much.

I have come here because there are very intelligent people here(except maybe a few) who have exceptional range and do gigs and that i can learn from. There are many good players here better than me and i am here to learn from them. I jsut want to be effencint about the thought process behind practicing for range. I came here to learn what mecanical skils(chops, air, ect...) i need to work on so my range practice will be effectinet as possible. i do not have a lot of free time.

My old lesson teacher said just before he moved was....

Practice smarter not harder.

These is a rule i try to live by and this will help me.

Thanks for all the advice you guys have givven me and look forward to talking to you again.

AndrewWK

5. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    That statement right there is telling me you're wise beyond your years. If I had known of this place in High School, you bet I'd have been here. The name Bert Truax is really ringing a bell in my memory. I know him from something or other...

Anyway, all bad first impressions aside, welcome to TM. Hope you have a lot of printer paper, because you'll use it! :D

6. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Bert Truax does clinics at TCU and other schools in the area. You can find other info about him at his website. he also works with Horn Haven(the only GR mouthpiece dealer in TX over in Dallas)He also has a dvd out called "basic Brass" where he talks about the Stamp method. Other than that i have no clue where you hae heard his name.

thanks everyone for their replies and keep them coming,
    AndrewWK

7. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Oh.....he also does ITG clinics if I am not mistaken.

Thanks,
    AndrewWK

8. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    THAT'S where I have heard of him!