Topping off the Lungs-Breathing technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Thank you Rowuk for your response to my thread. Can you please direct me to an example of one of your recordings that demonstrates the technique behind your theory?
    Respectively,
    Wayne Naus

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wayne,
    my information is not new or unique to me. Clarke, St. Jacome, Arban, Earl Irons and many others have had this proven approach for many years. It is not theory. It is fact taught all over the world. Armondo Ghitalla brought it to my attention when I was 15. Gil Johnson, Maurice André, Manny Laureano and many others offer the same. One of the major proponents of low impact are also the Alexander Technique players.

There are successful lead players that use "the wedge" to increase air pressure. That does in fact involve using the abs to play. There are many that have the range without the additional work however. Here is a good example: YouTube - MonetteCorporation's Channel

You will find many Monette clients take a similar "lower impact" approach because it works. It is not unique to Monette players, but Dave Monette does go to great lengths to build equipment that allows "relaxed" players to accomplish more. Here is his published take on body use:
    David G. Monette Corporation
    Here additional info:
    YouTube - MonetteCorporation's Channel
    Here is a 10 year old "low impact" player
    YouTube - Natalie Dungey UW Band Dress Rehearsal April 27, 2009

Of course there is plenty of room for new, well researched methods. Good luck!

3. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Rowuk, you are obviously avoiding my challenge which indicates to me that you are not a player but someone who is simply a good talker. I am disappointed that this site allows someone like you to be put into such an influential position. As a result, I will not visit or submit other threads to Trumpet Master in the future.
    Wayne Naus
    Welcome to Wayne Naus' World

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Wow!

5. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Wayne, he is not challenging you directly, but simply providing an alternate theory to yours. Trumpet playing is all about what works for the individual, much like golf, in some aspects. Rowuk was made a mod not only because he is a talented musician, but because he knows his stuff. If you though he was challenging you, he was only doing it for the sake of healthy debate and open-mindedness.
    These forums are very free in what we're allowed to post, and were created so trumpeters could come and enjoy the sort of healthy debate on technique that I described, so please reconsider your statement, and return to TM, as I'm sure you have much more knowledge to share with us.

6. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Thanks Willbarber for your kind invitation. I am simply asking Rowuk to substantiate his claims through his playing. Talk is cheap. Show me through his playing where he is a "talented musician" and as a result "knows his stuff". I don't think what I'm asking is unreasonable and until I hear some Rowuk trumpet playing I can't really believe what I'm reading.
    WNaus

7. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    I don't buy the "low impact" concept.

For sure each of us can (and should) minimize the body's effort when playing trumpet.
    Better efficiency is a goal.
    That's one main reason for practicing actually.

BUT: to play above high C requires effort unless you accept poor sound.
    To play "with balls" to me means not to avoid effort but to enjoy your effort.
    That's the athletic aspect of trumpet playing. Nothing wrong with that.

The Alexander Technique video shows first class salesmanship.
    Two gentlemen addressing each other geniuses - funny!
    Thank god, I need no Monette.

:-P

8. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    @ Bixel--But, isn't it entirely possible to hold out a nice high D at "p" for a while, with minimum effort, without compromising sound?
    To me, if you need an overwhelming effort to play high ALL the time, then much of the effort is being wasted on ineffiencey.

For me, the only time I go balls to the wall is marching band, but half that is me trying to outplay 100 other people and getting caught in the emotion of the moment. If I don't have to empty 3 lungs on a whole note in Wind Ensemble, I won't.

EDIT: On a side note, I totally agree that topping off your lungs would help support your sound. It sounds good in theory, and I think I'll try it today in Wind Ensemble...maybe it'll help me tackle Jupiter :p

9. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Sure, but what is minimum effort?
    The least effort possible I guess, but still there is some effort to be made.
    I can't do that with absolutely no tension at all in the abs. Can you?

As I said: it's about efficiency.

I'm not sure if we mean the same sort of balls...

:shock:

10. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Bixel I like what you have to say. Let me clarify that I never mentioned anything about "low impact" in my breathing technique. That is another topic. If your interested in low or no impact then don't play trumpet!
    wnaus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.