Topping off the Lungs-Breathing technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Welcome to the battle of the know-it-alls... very good stuff:thumbsup:

2. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Obviously there will be some effort made, or else it'd be damn hard to play, but I'm talking about not having to treat each high D like you're trying to blow a building over. To me, minimum effort means being able to hold the note out for a decent amount of time without straining yourself. Watch Adam Rapa teaching the secret of the Dubba C to his protege, and you'll see minimum effort at his best. Watch any great high note player. Once they get in the zone, THAT'S minimum effort.

I totally agree. And inefficient trumpet player is a wastes of a good set of lungs. I tried this system out today, and it provided me good support to just kind of float through the last ~50 measures of Jupiter, no problem.

I'm talking about balls, ya know? Nads, gooleys, Chinese prayer bells (+5 points if you get the book reference), testicular fortitude.
    Though many a trumpet player uses said balls well, abuse of them can lead to serious problems. I try to keep mine in reserve for marching, you know, that big last push to the end, the gut-busting solo in the Latin piece, etc.

No need to break out out the big guns when the Glock'll do just fine. That's efficiency in a nutshell.

:thumbsup:

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    They often come with a bang, and often leave the same way.

If Wayne has something that works, where is the problem? Why try to claim exclusivity where there is none. Why take a cheap shot at me? Because I teach something else that works? I have no interest in "slugging" it out with him. At the end of the day, he is the one advertising for business here. I was really thinking about buying the book. The childish attitude has really turned me off.

If this is all it takes to knock his ego down, then I guess the internet is the wrong place for him. I stand by everything that I post as I have been successfully teaching it for over 30 years. Low impact is not the only way, but a very good one for a large portion of the brass players on the planet - especially ones that do not play for a living. The professionals all have their own recipes to get through emotionally and physically. I also help them on occasion to get through personal playing crisis', as several working TMers have discovered first hand.

Wayne, if you don't like my stand on trumpet playing, fine. I'll get over it.

I used to use the wedge for big band lead playing. In 1998, I discovered a much easier way. John Henes pointed me in that direction at an Alexander Technique seminar. It changed my playing life. I still have all of my sound, high notes and endurance but don't need anywhere near the effort on stage. I practice more and it is just plain fun. I don't take any credit for any miracles and do not solicit any business here.

We have an ignore feature if you want to avoid me.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  4. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    When it comes to the trumpet you will never "know it all". You know the old saying, and title to a Tower of Power tune..."The more you know....the more you know you don't know". It fun searching for answers though.
    wnaus

5. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Rowuk, It's not that I don't like you're stand, it's just that anyone can claim to be an authority on a topic, but without proof of actually producing the product, what is the authority based on? Sort of like a heart surgeon that lectures on the topic but never actually did an operation. I simply wanted to hear an an example of your playing. And.... yes I am advertising on this site but I thought my performance on "Touch THe Spirit" would give some validation behind by breathing technique.By the way you should buy my book, its good!!!
    wnaus

6. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Sorry for advertising in this forum, I was unaware you shouldn't. It's all about the trumpet though. Rowuk, looking forward to future conversations!
    wnaus

7. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Geez, Cheap shots...Childish attitude....after reading your last post you may want to take look in the mirror Rowuk. All he seems to be asking for is a demonstration from YOU. That shouldn't be hard for someone of your calibre.

Hoghorn

bagmangood likes this.
  8. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    What I've read is: there is quite a bit of material, but there hasn't been done something "appropriate" with it so far.
    Let's not be too demanding.

:roll:

9. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Where can I found out more about the "low impact" approach?:play: I'd like to enjoy my practice more, but as it is now, I just get worn out quicker than I'd like.

10. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    The technique works. I don't see why would you start making enemies :-? . I am sure Rowuk is a very good player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.