Topping off the Lungs-Breathing technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Your funny rowuk, and I agree with you on most things, including your reply on teaching yourself. Having fun. Carroll

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have a personal stand on the internet, its possibilities and dangers. I had a real problem with identity theft a while back and do not hang any of my life out like laundry there. I have about 160 performances per year, enough students and between that and my family, still find time for TM. If anyone wants to know more about low impact, I gave enough sources. I do not need to produce "proof" on the whim of casual posters looking to sell books. A great deal of proof is from the TMers that have tried what I post here and have found a stable basic routine to aid their daily playing. On the internet, I only post "safe stuff" where I don't need to see or hear the player. Any specialty methods are left for my studio in a one on one situation.

My teaching is based around the circle of breath that I have posted many times here (for free). It consists of visualizing breathing as a continuous procedure with no real bump between in and exhale. IF we inhale, and hold the air in before exhaling, or even sniffing, we often close the vocal chords, causing the grunting sound that about 2/3rds of the players that I have ever worked with have. I do NOT recommend anything between in and exhale. I consider it POISON.

Proper breathing for trumpet playing needs to be learned and the trick is to keep the body as relaxed as possible while taking the big breath. As I posted, what happens after that is subject to debate as many methods are in use.

The basic biology of the human body cannot be "fooled", therefore it is useful to know what is myth and what is fact. The diaphragm is for inhale, abs and resilience of the lungs (as well as collapsing the rib cage - not recommended) for exhale. The vocal chords are an evil valve between the lungs and our horns. Looking at those very simple factors, all breathing methods can be analysed for "common sense".

3. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Well alrighty then !!!

4. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Rowuks Wins :thumbsup:!

Thank you Rowuk.

5. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    I'm a little confused. What exactly did rowuk win? When it comes to the trumpet no one wins except the trumpet. If you're lucky you get to play at it all your life. And in the end it might allow you to reach your full potential. Is that not one of the possible answers to the meaning of life? My original post was to educate and inspire. If you choose to distort it into something else well so be it. Remember this. Trumpet is mentioned 64 times in the bible,not that I am advocating any particular religion other the trumpet, but there must be something to it besides just a bunch of plumming. I have enjoyed this thread and all of your comments. If I have offended anyone my apologies. Lets keep the knowledge going!!!!
    wnaus

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  6. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    :thumbsup:

7. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    What a pile of steaming nonsense.

8. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Rowuk, you quite obviously know what you're talking about. The know-nothings who contradict you are morons aspiring to be idiots. You're on the case, keep on keeping on. Funny how all real players eventually resolve in the same key.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wayne wins! There is no exclusivety to any working method. If there was, all the others would be out of print. I would even venture to say that not much new has come up in the last 100 years or so. New methods do bring a mixture of disciplines that can help a certain cross section of the playing world. That can keep practice entertaining, certainly a virtue in our media possessed world.

I, like most teachers work primarily with players that do not end up being working musicians (perhaps school music teachers). The hand full of students that have gone on to the playing world have picked up further information and skills from others, just like I did myself. Many of the basics are still practiced daily, but the mix has changed for their playing experience and position. We all are unique and trying to press us into molds never worked anyway. As a teacher, I am happy when I help light the fire that can shine over decades of my students lives. It doesn't matter if I remain one of the small building blocks in the foundation.

10. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    I forgive you.

;-)

They don't and they won't, I fear.

People like (obviously) you need someone whom they can follow.
    I'm glad it's rowuk, I think he's quite okay for this.
    As a German maybe I'm a bit delicate with followers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.