Topping off the Lungs-Breathing technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, the contradiction often is not what it seems. I need to work on me and my choice of words. Often I realize that those that do not agree didn't understand what I was trying to say, or were turned off by a very blunt presentation. Once the concepts are clear, there are very few that disagree.

Even Gabrieli used Hypomixolydian and did not resolve in the same "key" as he started in. The Picardy third also moves us to other shores. In any case, when I fall down, it is not always in the same spot.

2. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Thanks Rowuk. I forget the "Circle of Breath" concept at times. It really is a nice concept. I'm going to introduce this to my middle school band. I usually say "Relax and Blow" in order to produce a full sound when I really mean what you are saying!

3. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    This is what's great about TM and the internet in general. You can get exposed to many different idea's and then judge for yourself the validity of what's presented and how or if you can utilize it. On the other hand, I am always skeptical about threads whose primary purpose is to generate sales.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Every thread is where we take it. If the owner only has commercial interests, we are allowed to have more fun.............. If they are REALLY interested in us, they offer some decent info and maybe even get a sale or two. If not,:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

5. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    I felt that by sharing my breathing technique was a fair trade for possibly selling a few CD's. I would have to sell a lot of CD's before it improved my life in any way. As I said before, the playing on my CD was meant to validate my claims more than anything. I'm really more interested in the trumpet and sharing info. than making a few bucks. If you are really interested you can hear my CD for free on youtube.
    wnaus

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hey folks, here is a plug for my embouchure technique, "Put Your Lips Together and Blow!" If you find this to be of help, I have some CD's you might want to buy!

In case you are wondering what the technique is, it is "put your lips together and blow."

If you are wondering about the CD's, I would suggest starting with CSO's Carmina Burana. Louder and cleaner than anything else I know of.

I have some other suggestions too.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I can understand--this is a typical post WWII additude. No judgement intended.

One major difference I've found is that the typical German teacher tries to generate nothing but successes for their students; avoiding risk, whereas an American teacher will push the student to take risks until the point that they suck.

Painful as the lesson is, those who persevere tend to be less fearless, more adventurous and more exciting to listen to.

This is my experience across a couple of continents.

8. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Germans Huh....Trying to stir the pot VB ? Another moderator opinion !!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Great music.

I want to throw my two cents in. Today? I worked on memorizing major scales. haha, noobish? maybe? I did some flow studies, and worked some of the tonguing exercises in the arban. Im doing this every day now. I switch between odd and even number exercises depending on the day. what am I saying? well, some one posted a video of an allen vizzutti clinic. he made fun of people jumping into a stance, and doing a ritual before they played, then played like a double c with out taking a breath. yea, some might say hes a freak of nature. okay. but the thing is, instead of thinking about this yoga, we should probably get off google, and open up our favorite books, and just practice, practice, practice. yay common sense. i can honestly say, ive gotten on TM, looked up breathing exercises, and went to the bathroom to try them, they changed nothing. practice. and thats coming from a junior in high school ;) lol, yall have a good night.

10. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    If trumpet playing was that easy, there would be a lot more great players in the world. Yes it is true, we put our lips together and blow. Unfortunately you may be forming bad habits that only a good teacher can hear or see. Most players that suck don't know they suck. Just watch American Idol. The only way to really know what you sound like is to record yourself. That was the real reason I made my first recording. You might find that you actually suck but didn't know it! Wouldn't it be better to know!!! Thats the value of a good teacher.... even though we're getting off the "breathing technique" subject a little.
    wnaus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.