Topping off the Lungs-Breathing technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    While we are a bit off topic........... The real issue is not the method, but the capability of the player to turn knowledge into sound. There was more than enough info on how to play back in the 19th century (the 18th century had trumpet guilds that kept the good stuff secret).

There are several takes, but mine is: there are the natural talented that are just lucky, there are those who have the gift of working hard and moderate talent and there are those without a snowballs chance in hell (no opportunity or no talent or both).

This is why I am very critical of methods PROMISING results. It just ain't so. It is also not fair to assume that the player is stupid if the method does not work - there are too many variables.

When talent - in whatever quantity, and opportunity (playing, teaching) meet, the player thrives. No method can work if it falls on deaf ears. A method understood by the student will at least get to first base. If it is fun and the student has the impression that they are getting better, the method has at least made it to second base. If it REALLY works with this person, third base and if it results in employment - Home Run!

2. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Yay practicing.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It is for this reason that most of us here are skeptical of books that promise stuff.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Stirring the pot, yes: a hornet's nest, no.

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Have you tried this technique in real performance? This is contrary to every thing I do. It is useless at a quiet level of sound. Old fashioned rhythmic inhale and exhale has worked for me. I NEVER hold air.........in and out works for me........no hesitations.
    Wilmer

6. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Rowuk, Here here !! Nicepost, I agree 100%. And as the educator you have to be able to deciper all this in your student, to make the best choices for him / her !

Wiseone2, same here, I guess it's the way you learn as a kid that you end up preffering. All of us in my family play this way.

Jack

7. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    For me there is a difference between holding the air and sitting on it. The trick is to not "bottle" it up by closing the throat. Rather keeping the throat open and relaxed while at the same time having a reserve of air to support your sound. I think the concept of breathing is one of the hardest things to get a handle on when it comes to playing trumpet because it's a feeling you have to discover for yourself no matter what anyone says to you about it.One of my old teachers John Coffee use to say "tongue and blow kid". I wish it was that easy!!
    wnaus

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have spent my whole career playing in orchestras and bands. There is always a conductor in front of you. How do you coordinate breath and release? My way has worked for me at any range or dynamic. Why complicate an action that can be easily taught?
    Wilmer

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  9. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Sounds like whatever your doing works for you and thats great. My original post is a breathing technique that works for me but one size certainly doesn't fit all. Do you have any recordings I can buy?
    wnaus

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wayne,
    you know as well as anybody else that recordings of MUSIC do not normally make a deal of capturing the air intake sound. There are plenty of recordings available that show our musicality. Unfortunately none are geeky enough to focus on making common sense breathing audible. Your request therefore borders on proving nothing. If you are truly interested in our playing, a little research on your part will provide you more than enough sources.

Sniffing in the practice room MAY be a way to get a student to visualize the state of fuller lungs. It is senseless on stage. There the full breath should be exactly that as well as in time to aid rhythm. If you screw up the big breath in one shot, then you have more work for the practice room.

I teach the circle of breath. It works by connecting in and exhale with no bumps in between. The search function should help you find it. Once you understand the simplicity of the concept, you too can benefit from less work on stage. It is free and no CD is required to understand how it works. Sniffing for high notes was something some of us left behind in the late 60s/early 70s.

It is almost time to lock down this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.