Topping off the Lungs-Breathing technique

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wnaus, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  2. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    "Little by little, the bad news dribbles in." :D

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Now that's being cool under pressure! (Pun intended)

I have the album and it is indeed extraordinary.

Rich T.

4. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Wiseman2 thank you for your impressive recording! This will be my last respose to my original post "Topping Off The Lungs", I hope someone benefits by it. I have enjoyed the conversation. Good luck to all!!!
    wnaus

5. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Damn! now thats good. :) thanks for the clip wise one. ha, makes me want to go practice sight reading :)

6. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Before you do let my clarify a few things. I never used this forum to sell or advertise my two books. I never mentioned them. I also never intended my breathing technique to be used to "sniff for high notes". I never mentioned high notes in my original post. This is apparently a light weight forum used primarily by non-players to advocate their "theories" which are not based on professional experience. If you had done your homework you would of seen who I am and who I have had the privilege of working with over the past 50 years. I am disappointed in this forum and will not visit it again. Good buy and good luck!
    Welcome to Wayne Naus' World

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wayne,
    you obviously have not looked around very much here otherwise you would have seen how many experienced players participate and the nature of the threads. All threads are created equal. Good advice catches on, other types are discussed at length and not everything from accomplished players is accepted as gospel simply because it does not scale to other musicians.

It makes little difference how many people you or I have studied under, when teaching one on one many things are communicated without having to express them. Over the internet we have a different experience. There is much greater room for "misunderstanding". Why should we be "required to do "homework" when blogging with you on the internet. Do your posts not stand on their own content?

In your case and original post, you recommended sniffing, which in my professional opinion clearly is not a replacement for a proper breath. The dangers of "sniffing" (additional tension, loss of rhythm...) show that your idea has its "problems". You have not been able to clear that up in the course of this thread and now we are supposed to feel sorry because we do not meet your expectations?

I am sorry that you are for the second time disappointed and not coming back, but I guess that comes with the territory.

I have closed the thread as you are no longer available here for clarification. If you want it opened up again, PM me.

Good luck sniffing.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.