Toronto Brass Shops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MarkMin, Aug 19, 2009.

1. MarkMin

MarkMin New Friend

Jul 15, 2008
    Forgive me if this is an inappropriate place to ask this question ...

I'm visiting Toronto from Australia for a conference (on non-trumpet related matters). Is there a good trumpet shop there? Something that might have a good range of mouthpieces? Monette if possible, but others, too. I've looked online, and can't find anything apart from a band instrument rental shop.

Thanks.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    There aren't any specialty shops like NYTC, but downtown there is Long and McQuade. They have a pretty decent selection of horns (lots of Bach and Schilke as well as others) and they have Monette mouthpieces.
    They also have some used horns.

3. MarkMin

MarkMin New Friend

Jul 15, 2008
    Thanks -- v. helpful.

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I wouldn't count on them having any Monette mouthpieces in stock. I was there recently and they had none, but they will order them for you, which probably won't do you much good. They don't carry any in stock because they said they sell so few. I got one two years ago, because one order they had, had not been picked up. Unfortunately Toronto doesn't have any great stores such as they have in the US. Long and MCquade is the best of a pretty disappointing lot.:-(

5. Brekelefuw

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Everytime I went to Long andMcQuade, they always had 5-6 Monette peices in stock, but I haven't been there in a while since I work for the competition.

Also, it is my career goal to open a high end brass boutique in the GTA, but I would guess that it will take 10-15 years for me to get enough experience and money to start it up.

6. doubleg

doubleg New Friend

Aug 13, 2009
    Toronto
    check out the new Cosmo Superstore up in Richmond Hill... its a bit north of the city, but definitely worth it... You likely won't find any Monette mouth pieces, however, their selection of instruments blows L&M out of the water.

7. Brekelefuw

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    (thats where I work)

8. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    You guys wouldn't happen to have a Yamaha Custom 8340EM "Eric Miyashiro" trumpet would ya?

9. doubleg

doubleg New Friend

Aug 13, 2009
    Toronto

To the best of my knowledge, Yamaha has stopped making that model. I looked high and low, I think it may be a Japanese only model.
    However, upon looking at the specs of 8340EM, I think you may enjoy the Bobby Shew horn, 8310Z... Minus the 3 finger rings on the EM, the two are almost the same.
    Swing by and take a look at it, we have one on the wall right now...

10. MarkMin

MarkMin New Friend

Jul 15, 2008
    Just to follow up:
    I went to Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill (Toronto) and, as suggested, they didn't have any Monette mouthpieces on display.

When I asked if they had any hidden away, the friendly young woman behind the counter said:
    No, we don't have those. You're the second person who's asked about them ... and their trumpets. They must be good. Where're they made?

She was interested to hear they came from across the border. I think she thought they were French, which is understandable, I guess.

They had 10-15 Bachs and Yamahas, a couple of Eastmans, 6-9 Yamaha & Conn flugels, 2 Yamaha piccolos, and a B&H Sovereign cornet.

Nice shop, well laid out, with lots of other gear. A sort of supermarket music store.

I'm checking out Long & McQuade later today.

Cheers.