Toronto Symposium

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It will be my first time trying an Eclipse as well as trying a C trumpet.

2. halfnote

halfnote New Friend

Oct 4, 2004
    Toronto
    I was at the symposium last year and was completely blown away by Thompson's teaching and playing. Reading someone else's notes on the symposium is no substitute for being there in person. Definitely worth checking out.

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I couldn't agree with you more and that is why I am making the trip. Before graduate school I studied with Jim for a few years while he was in Atlanta. I cannot tell you how inspiring it was to be in the same room with him when he played each and every time. I am looking forward to experiencing that again and seeing my old teacher. Jens is always inspirational as well, and between the two we will have a wealth of musicianship and knowledge at our disposal.

Brek, if you can, try to get your hands on a C trumpet or two from one of your buddies and play a bit on them so you will appreciate the difference on the Eclipse. (and you will, even with no C trumpet experience)

4. gtromble

gtromble Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    I made it back from Toronto last night -- had a great week at the Symposium. A couple of people couldn't make it due to the air travel issues of the last couple of weeks. I didn't have any problems though.

The Symposium is a great event -- we had about 30 people, so there was lots of opportunity to soak up the wisdom of Jens Lindeman and Jim Thompson. They are a great team, because they have different personalities and approaches to coaching people, but they have a lot in common, as Jens was a student of Jim's at university in Montreal (a few years ago). Jim is straightforward and very insightful, and Jens is ..... crazy! Guaranteed that one or the other of them would get through to you, no matter what your issue.

I came back as a significantly better player, and have a years worth of stuff to work on for further improvement. I went as an "ensemble" participant this year - meaning that I didn't play in the master class sessions with Jens and Jim. My goal is to go back next year and play in the master classes.

I recommend you all look into it in 2007.

Galen