Torpedo Gig Bags

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by MUSICandCHARACTER, Apr 29, 2004.

1. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I had heard a lot about these bags, so I became a dealer for them. I got my sample bag this week. Wow, is this thing impressive! For one thing it is a size that would fit in a locker or even under a seat on a plane. It stands upright and holds the horn very snugly.

I was really surprised by the construction. They say it can take 400 lbs and not hurt the horn. Well, I didn't try 400 lbs, but I had my 120 lb. kid stand on it. Amazing.

Is anyone using one of these bags?

M&C

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Yes Jim,

Very impressive bag. The mute bag is also worth having as is the enlarged music pouch but there are trade offs (as there always is). Either you can have the mute bag or the music pouch attached but not both...both would make it almost the perfect bag (it would be the absolutely perfect bag made in leather and with a more usable carrying handle).

Be sure that you remove (and replace) the horn by the bell (consequently may not be good for beryllium bell Schilkes) and not...repeat NOT the tuning slide, experience talking here..also a tip from Andy Taylor is to put the horn in a horn bag as it stops the internal lining from getting caught on all the little bits that stick out from a trumpet and tearing.

Gongrats it's a great product. If they made one for flugel I'd grab it tomorrow.

Regards,

Trevor

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Trevor,

Although I cannot find it at the moment, I think they have a leather one planned in the near future :D I'll let you know more when I know more.

M&C

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yes, Jim. I have used a Torpedo for just over a year now. I'm 205 (OK, OK.. 210) and I've sat on the bag.... no problem. I use the add-on mute bag as well. The hardware stands up great, no signs of deterioration, wear, damage or anything after a year. My only real complaint with the bag is the orientation of the single hand strap: I wish they'd placed "longitudinally" to the axis of the bag and more towards the middle so that you could carry it like a briefcase. But for the price? Can't go wrong. I'll be using it for the Eclipse when I don't need to lug the Protec doubler's VAX bag around (on order, somewhere "in shipping" I expect!)

If I had a "recommendation" or a "wish list" I'd also have them put a solid liner in the top cover and then make provision for a lock on it (I think the bag is based on an 8" diameter length of hard plastic sewer pipe!)

I agree with Trevor: I'd not be putting a Schilke beryllium bell in there without being VERY careful. Even then there is a risk since the horn is pretty much supported in the vertical direction by the bell flare. Also, you pretty much HAVE to lift the horn out by the bell, although I wouldn't worry about a "horn bag"....I've never had anything snag in the liner yet. I am, however, considering using a liner bag for the Eclipse since I don't want ANY unnecessary abrasion to the plating (which, being the 24 carat that Leigh uses, is going to be softer than silver plate).

As far as mutes go: there IS a limit to how many mutes you can stuff into the add-on bag: I've since gone to carrying my music and mutes in a separate shoulder-bag. I found that the mutes were getting dented from being crammed into the add-on bag (I was carrying DW adjustable cup mute, DW straight, Jo-ral bubble (aluminum), a tuner, a metronome, a bottle of water, a K & M stand, and I don't know what else). Since then our music has dictated also adding an H & B cup mute and it "just didn't fit". Still, a fantastic bag ESPECIALLY for any student who only has to carry one horn around. Undoubtedly the best out there for that application at anywhere near that price.

I also recall the maker saying that he was going to be adding a leather version: you might contact him and ask (I think he's an infrequent member here... for certain on TH).

5. connman

connman New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    York, PA
    I use and LOVE this bag, too! It has "Pratical Design" written all over it. These are well thought out and constructed. I only have had mine for about a month now, so I can't speak on the endurance end of things. I also bought the mute bag "add-on" as well. I've heard from more than one person who's only complaint was the dented mute problem. I've been giving it some consideration as to possibly lining it with some thin (1/4" - 3/8") carpet type padding. This really wouldn't add any weight, but would offer some protection I think.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I think the "dented mute" problem is more the result of the mutes being pressed against each other than being hammered from "outside" the bag. And of course, that "could" happen in any container that didn't have something to keep them apart from each other. I sure don't "blame it" on the bag anyway; just need to realize that with certain mutes or numbers of mutes ya need a bigger bag.

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I bought all my mutes on sale "pre-dented". Cheaper that way :D

Plus, I didn't think they were in tune until they were dented!

M&C

8. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    I agree with M&Con this one! - a few dents give them a bit of character! - esp my old alluminium Harmon wah wah. They all sit in a Crown Royal bag now though as too much character may be too much of a good thing! - I knew there would be some advantage of my wife liking the more expensive rye....!

9. knf jazz cat

knf jazz cat New Friend

Dec 16, 2003
    I just got a Torpedo bag, and may I say, it's awesome! The bag is extremely protective and very light. The little accessory pouch is very handy for mouthpieces and valve oil. Plus this is the only case that will fit my Taylor's huge 5 5/8" bell in it.

10. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    That is very true. I first tried the 5 1/4" Olympus bell in the bag. It fit nicely. I have sold three of them to people with larger than 5" bells. With some of the horns having bigger bells, the Torpedo Bag is excellent.

Jim