TorpedoBags

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by mhilton, Oct 20, 2005.

1. mhilton

mhilton New Friend

Mar 11, 2005
    Rosemount, MN
    I posted this on the oTHer site and figured I would post it here for those it might not head over there.

I met Steve Kriesel the other night and I got to see the new, redesigned TorpedoBag. WOW!! I would definitely recommend it to anybody who is thinking about buying a case to jump on it as soon as they can! I have one of the 1st generation TorpedoBags and love it (and abuse it). The new one is even better!

This is not a paid endoresement, Steve didn't ask me to write this and this is strictly my opinion, but if you haven't seen the cases and do not own one, you're missing out. Check them out: http://www.torpedobags.com

Matt

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    How long is it? Will it hold a 22" Custom horn?

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    They look a lot like Wolfpak ingle cases. Are they as snug a fit as the Wolfpaks? One thing I don't like about my Wolfpak single is that its a little to snug, making it difficult to get instruments in and out sometimes (the top finger buttons always wall off). Just curious...
    -Jimi

4. mhilton

mhilton New Friend

Mar 11, 2005
    Rosemount, MN
    I put my B1 in the case and it holds the horn snugly, but I did not experience a fit that was too tight. The case really does offer superior protection and I toss my 1st generation case around without any doubt that my horn is safe and sound.

5. mhilton

mhilton New Friend

Mar 11, 2005
    Rosemount, MN
    I'm not too sure about a 22" custom horn fitting in the case, but Steve would be able to answer that question. You can email him at: [email protected]

Matt

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I have the older case and got it when I bought my B1. Since then I've changed to an Eclipse which is about 1/2" longer than the B1 and it works fine...."just". Of course, I also pack the "inside-the-lid" accessory pack pretty full too. You could fit about any trumpet in there if you didn't stuff that little inside lid pouch. (maybe a Harrelson full-mod or a Monette would be an issue.... but then you'd be using a Wiseman anyway, wouldn't you?)

Looking at the photos I think I agree with everything that they had to say about the new design. I don't use both backpack straps on mine but I can see that the attachment point could be an issue with shorter people. The only thing they missed on was their chance to reorient the "single-hand" handle. That darn thing positioned the way it is is a real "pain". I'd love to have a more standard "suitcase" handle so I could carry the bag like any other case. ie. Orient the handle axially along the case at mid-point rather than transverse (at the top of the tube between the straps)

The statements re: the music compartment are "right on" as well. I don't even use the compartment on mine because it tends to "curl" the music up and isn't very big anyway. Might as well just fold up an old towel and stuff it in there for padding when using the case in backpack mode.

If the new one is built to the same (or better) standard than the old one then it's going to be a winner. Those old ones are bullet-proof! Mine is now over 2 years old and still looks new.

7. mhilton

mhilton New Friend

Mar 11, 2005
    Rosemount, MN
    On the case I saw the other night, it does have a "suitcase handle" like you described. That reason alone is making me consider buying the 2nd generation case also.

Matt

8. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    I ordered a Torpedo Bag from Dillon's back in August , only to be told that they're backordered. A month later, I email them asking how long I should wait to get my bag. They tell me about the redesign, etc. "No one has any Torpedo Bags..."

How long have the new bags been out? I still haven't heard anything from them. Shouldn't Dillon's be able to get the new Torpedo Bags by now?

9. $$$$$

$$$$$ Guest

valve damage

I am looking to buy one of these cases but I have heard from people that they cause valve damage. The person that told me this was also trying to sell me a different case so I did not exactly believe him by I just want to make sure. I have never actually herd this anywhere else.

10. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Re: valve damage

I found that to be true of my Wolfpack single. It would always unscrew the valve buttons on my horns when I used it, I was really worried about the damage that may be done. So, I haven't used the case in years. It has a very similar design (one is square, the other is round), so i fear the same case may be true with the torpedo. Although I haven't used one, I don't think i ever will.