Totally for fun curiousity

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Borgatt, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Borgatt

Borgatt New Friend

Nov 26, 2008
    I was playing around with my silent brass system the other day, and had the bright idea to plug it into my multi-effect pedal for my electric guitar. Found some neat effects, but ran into a situation of overkill, since its kind of like plugging a microphone into a distortion pedal and expecting it not to feedback. Some of the pitch shifting chorus and reverb effects (there is this reverse reverb effect that was all kinds of fun).

So my question is this, since no doubt I am not the first person to try putting effects on a trumpet. I was wondering what people out there have tried and found to be interesting or fun. Keep in mind I'm not approaching this from a perspective of trying to make the horn sound better as far as, theres only one real way to do that (practice and a quality horn). I'm more interested in things that make it sound different, and what applications people may have found for it.

For example, one of my projects is a punk rock group, and while we do have a two horn trumpet section, sometimes it works to have crazy-not-anywhere-close-to-traditional-trumpet sounds. Plus its fun to plug stuff in and see whan comes out the end sometimes.

(I'm hoping I don't anger any purists out there, so let me throw this disclaimer in: There is nothing more pleasing than a nice clean natural trumpet tone)

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I've used the same setup. SB mute to SB module, with headphone output to effects pedal. If you fiddle with the high/low and volume adjustments on the SB unit and also ajdust your giutar amp input and output levels you should be able to find settings that work well enough for your purposes - and stay behind the amp if possible.

veery

3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Years ago, I had a mouthpiece equipped with a barcus berry pickup and used guitar effects and echoplex in a party band that I was playing in. It worked pretty well, the barcus didn't feed back like a mic would.

In the 70's Randy Brecker did an album with the guitar player, Larry Coryell. He was using a Mu-tron, phase shifter and some other stuff. I haven't explored it, but with a digital interface you could do some wild stuff with a synth.

4. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Donh't be afraid to anger us purists. We need to be kicked sideways every now and then. That's how we learn. Fro interesting effects with electronics and trumpet, look for an old album Don Ellis Live at the Fillmore. I believe he uses a ring modulator as well as an octave splitter.

5. Borgatt

Borgatt New Friend

Nov 26, 2008
  6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I've heard some of Miles more "abstract" stuff and while he didn't use Silent Brass he did use some kind of effects pedals

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    In H.S. I ran my trumpet through my MIDI set up which at the time was a Korg synthasizer and an apple computer. Take the cover off the silent brass system and see if their is a trimming pot inside for the gain reduce the gain and you mmore then likely get read of the feedback problem. I used to use a clip on mic. and I would run that into a tubed preamp that i built in electronics class. Back then I did not have and hand not thought of useing guitar effects pedals that came much latter for me.

8. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Bill Chase, when recording "Weird Song" on the Pure Music album, ran his trumpet through a wah-wah pedal.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Randy Brecker was one of the first to use effects. He ued a wah-wah pedal and a ring modulator

10. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    There are many brands and models of digital effects processors on the market, and any of them will work in your environment. Your correct they are a lot of fun. I've found that when soloing in an electronic environment with a trumpet, it puts you in a whole different mind set, and makes you solo differently than if you did not use effects. Personally I really like it. Good luck with it and have fun !!!

Hoghorn