Totally Sad About Elkhart

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 28, 2008.

1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I live in northern Indiana, not too far from Elkhart. Isn't it sad that all of the horn manufacturers like Holton, Conn, Blessing, Selmer, Getzen, and others, have closed their doors or been consolidated? Even the legendary Woodwind & Brasswind store got bought by another company a few years ago. It just seems like Elkhart has lost a huge musical legacy. Any thoughts?

2. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Well, Conn was asking for it - they bought out a Massachusetts instrument maker (Fiske) and after just a few years - when they made the Worcester - Elkhart Wonder cornets - closed the plant and moved production back to Indiana. Not that we're holding a grudge, here in Mass., of course. But it was only a little over a hundred years ago. (As an IU grad, I'm less bitter about it than some.)

3. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    Getzen? Something you're not telling us, Brett?

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Maybe I was wrong about Getzen! :) I was on Wikipedia and also saw mention of a company called Buescher, where Mr. Blessing got his start I believe. I had not heard of that one. But I do recall a 'Besser' or 'Bessert' .. am I smoking crack?

5. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    :D

6. tatakata

May 29, 2007
    good question misty. hard to tell over the web :D I am with you. I think it is a very sad state of affairs/ Bach used to be king and now its a joke.

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    If I am smoking crack it's sure as hell not any fun ! LOL

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    One day the bean counters will have rationalized ALL of their customers into unemployment, thereby sealing their own fate. The problem is "shareholder value". If the shareholders only want to multiply their money, there is no limit how low this can go. This is basic economics and I am amazed how stupid and short sighted these idiots are!
    I don't think there is much of a chance of getting the chinese to buy their own instruments.....................

Set an example, support local businesses until the wall street experts wake up! You are potentially saving your own job!

9. Brett Getzen

Brett Getzen Pianissimo User

Sep 19, 2006
    Elkhorn, WI
    Quick clarification here. We (Getzen) and Holton aren't located in Elkhart. We're in Elkhorn, WI. Easy confusion. And, not all of us have been bought out. Blessing and us are still independant... as far as I know. :D

Oh, and WWBW didn't have much choice. It's hard to not be bought out when you file bancruptcy.

Brett Getzen

10. tatakata

May 29, 2007
    I had no idea blessing was still independant. interesting