Totally SCREWED

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Annie, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    I just found out I can't freakin' practice at all during a snow day unless I'm lucky enough to get there when someone unlocks the door. The performing arts center here is locked, and there is some inane policy that you can't play any instrument except an acoustic guitar in the residence halls, even if it is in the late afternoon when most everybody will be awake and the least bothered.

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Annie, I had this same problem when I was in undergrad school. Is there a church near you that would let you have some practice space in return for playing some Sunday mornings during the service?

Mike

3. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    Clint Eastwood said, "Improvise, overcome, adapt."

I feel for you. I'm always afraid to play much higher than the staff in my own house.

4. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    There might be - I regularily attend, well, as best as possible, a church that is about a ten minute walk from my dorm. I actually help out with the high school sunday class - That's a great idea! I'm gonna look into that this coming Sunday, as long as there is still Church, there is some bad weather here.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    The worst that can happen is that they say "Sorry". The best is that they'll ask you to play during some of the services. :D

6. Liberty Lips

Liberty Lips Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2003
    Although I've never tried one, and have no idea really if it works or not, it might be worth looking into the Yamaha Silent Brass outfit. If it actually does what Yamaha says it does, it could be a solution for you.

7. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Does it stop all sound? Apparently they're pretty strict about this because my RA told me he was going to document it, even though it was my first offense.

When you're told you're not allowed to play, do you feel like you've just been told you're not allowed to breathe?

8. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    You could always get back at your RA........Some night when he has his gf over, put a tape recorder up to his door.........

:shock:

Seriously, the Yamaha Silent Brass is pretty quiet,but you have a lot of backpressure to deal with. I don't use mine for anything above a mf volume, or above the staff.

Mike

9. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    LOL, and he and his GF really go at it too. The thing that gets me is there was another RA, and she didn't say a word to me. I think I know why though. I had already griped to her about how I could not get into the PAC when school is closed, and she was being understanding. The thing is, no one had even began to complain! I still can't believe he wrote me up - it was only my first offense and obviously I didn't know about the rule because a few minutes before he told me about that I told him what I was doing!!!!!!!

10. bugler16

bugler16 Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2003
    The building on my campus is supposed to be open on snow days and such but often they don't. Do what we do here. We get together find one door an out of the way one that they might not check and rigg it so we can get it open when the building is locked. Also a few grad students have keys (2 trumpet players that like to practice) so they open the front doors and then put a piece of paper behind the lacth so they will not close all the way and the rest of us can get in.