Touching song

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73yGAZrS9J0

Heard Chris Botti's version of this song, was amazing as well. Something about this one I liked even more. The trumpet sounds more 'natural' (raw) here rather than refined like Botti.

The bonus for me was, it was a Monette.

Just goes to show every trumpet can do it if in the right hands. Absolutely beautiful.

Can say my trumpet quest is over. Making a point of trying out Monettes and seeing how they feel because so far, everything I have tried, Strads, Schilkes, Schagerls, B&S challengers, Getzen, Stomvi, Carol Brass, nothing is 'quite' right for me, the closest I got to 'wow this is nice' was a trumpet called Conn Vintage, large bore, but even that wasn't exactly it either, was just nicer than everything else. Maybe a Monette will hit that spot that is missing from everything else. Worth trying anyway since I love there mouthpieces.

2. Jappe

Jappe Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2011
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Do you really believe that the trumpet makes his sound???? If he was playing a large bore strad he would sound just as good. Check out Arturo Sandoval https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlJ6OiVLX9I from 6:40 to 11:30 watch him get out a horn and play... be bedazled.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Go ahead and buy a $15,000 Monette, when you find it does not live up to your expectations I will take it off your hands for a nominal sum.

I am not sure where in Aus you will find one to try, I have only seen 1 Bb secondhand in Melbourne in the last 10 years, $5,000, I did not look twice at it, there is currently a Monette C for sale at $8,000. Thompson Music in the states usually has a number of Monettes for sale.

Regards, Stuart.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It has nothing to due with who played it and how well. It was played on a Mo★★★★e. Gxman is a Mo★★★★e "troll" or zombie if you prefer. No useful info here. SMH.

5. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Quote where I said monette is the reason he sounds like that.

When you realize you can't, i expect an apology.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Geez Gxman, you made my point TWICE! It's not the horn but the player. Your constant little digs at Botti are unfathomable. I'm no Botti apologist but your "If Chris only played a Mo★★★★e" tells me you really don't understand artistry. When you make these constant and incessant remarks regarding Mo★★★★e, it's frankly quite boring. Zzzzzzzzzzzz. Go ahead, launch another tirade about how I / we don't get it. Zzzzzzzzzzzz........

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmm, editing your posts?!
    Here's an analogy I hope "brings it home" for you. You're touring the Sistine Chapel painted by Michelangelo. Everyone in the tour is amazed at the beauty. When the time for questions come, you ask, "What kind of paint brush did he use"??? Selah!

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Gxman, by all means try a Monette--it may well be that it is your dream horn, but those wonderful slurs that Giuffredi plays, for example don't come with the horn.

9. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Never said the did. Once again, quote where i said monette is the reason.

Toby you dont get it lol. It is like the mention of monette triggers something in your brain that makes you go on tangents unrelated. Had it traumatized you or something? You sure act like it.

i used a key word clearly missed. "The bonus".

That means, the song is beautiful via the player not the horn used. That was just a bonus for me, for a reason.

The reason being is this:
    I read people say they hated Monette trumpets because the sound they produce is way out of the ordinary, conventional trumpet sound. Meaning, they sound completely different to normal trumpets.

I was trying to understand how so by finding music I actually liked done on monette which was near impossible to find. I randomly came across Paradiso done by Andrea, and while watching it, I noticed it was a Monette that he was playing, Awesome!. I finally get to hear how it is 'different' where 'it doesn't sound like normal trumpets'. And this song was perfect as I have the Chris Botti version of if which I love.

By the end of the song I made my own conclusion. It does not sound completely different to 'normal' trumpets as suggested by the people that dont like it because it apparently does.

I also made another conclusion: its not a martin committee that gives that beautiful warm sound i love (chris botti) because now i just heard someone else playing, on a monette and sounded just as mellow as did botti to me, with a little brassiness coming through, which im only guessing is the player but also less going on behind the scenes in terms of mixing, processing which is why i said sounded a little more raw than refined.

So it has answered my wonder, it aint the trumpet, old or new, its the player. This video just solidified it for me and again "the bonus" was the fact it was a monette as i got to hear it aint much different either.

Now re-read the posts made and tell me how those posts were even in context of what I said.

So save the angelo speech for someone that was actually asking the question.

duh!

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    There you have your answer, get the Conn, spend 2000+ hours practicing, developing your sound concept, the magic does not come in the horn.

Regards, Stuart.