Touching song

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Jun 8, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ROFL

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Everybody knows the horn has an effect of what comes out the other end of the player, otherwise, why do so many buy different horns? I'm almost as tired of that argument as I am that the player makes the horn. There are variables.

Regarding this particular example, it's easy. It's not a Monnette (not pronounced as in "Count de Monet"), that makes the difference between Botty and Giuffredi - it's that Guiffredi is Italian!

3. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    I agree. If Horn made 0 difference, then we would only have Monette on the market. :bleah:

But in all seriousness, Player has the most to do with it, and the equipment sets the parameters usable. Some will ultimately be darker, others brighter. I also know the difference could be very small.

EG: I played a Getzen Classic Eterna, then my Stomvi Classica, then a custom made Harelson that weighed as much as 3 of my trumpets... and I basically sounded the same in each, not enough difference at all to have been able to say "well I like this one more". I did hear I sounded the darkest in the Stomvi, though minute difference, it was there though.

Well I got an email from Andrea regarding his song.

"Hi , In that videos I play with Prana B3S3 , my sound is dark because is my sound , monette trumpet can help but , need find the sound in the mind and in the heart.

yes b2 FL can help very much.
    Andrea"

I already own a B2-S3, which is same as his just slightly larger diameter. A very deep B2-FL can help make darker tones, but I think the key in that is

"My sound is dark, because that is my sound"
    "Need to find the sound in the mind and in the heart"

The rest becomes bandages to make things easier for lack of technique.

So how does one choose to have a darker sound? Is it something to do with aperture, how much air you push etc (besides whats going on in the head) or what? There has to be some technique involved to make things for brighter/darker....

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    There is a simple technique to make your sound brighter or darker, it is called PRACTICE, put in the hours to become one with the horn then you can alter your sound at will. there is nothing that will replace lack of technique.The Jens Linderman interview with Arturo Sanderval illustrates this well.

Regards, Stuart.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Aperture "control" comes from lots of practice as stumac mentioned. I have read some say you can't control it. Anecdotal evidence in my playing says otherwise. Give it a go and see how it affects your sound.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A common and simplistic description of a brass embouchure is "a puckered smile." More pucker and the sound gets darker, more smile and the sound gets brighter. Too much in any one direction and the player enters a danger zone.

A lot can be done with the mouthpiece. A deeper cup with a smaller diameter will be darker than a shallower cup with a larger diameter. If too deep the sound loses color; too shallow and it starts to sound like a buzz saw.

The mind/body connection is by far the most important. The trumpet and mouthpiece combination can either help or hinder that.

7. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Thanks for that.

Maybe I dont understand what a pucker is... if it is what I think it is... doesnt that make your lips push inside the mouthpiece (thus not the M shape) and thus you end up with all the red bit flapping inside the mouthpiece which I am told is not what you are meant to do.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Not a sloppy pucker. The amount of "red" will stay the same, just focused by the pursed lips.