Tounge Arch Teacher

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Apr 5, 2010.

1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

If you can play more than one note on a trumpet, you are probably arching your tongue to some degree.
    It doesn't have to been conscious.
    If you consistently playing flat, and are having trouble with slotting notes in the middle and upper registers, maybe think about it. Else, just work on fundamentals with everybody else :)

2. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    :thumbsup:

I like this one, too: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/myth-fast-air-39505-15.html#post485063

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you know what syllables to use in the different octaves , experiment, only you can know what it feels like , remember when you play in the upper register using the EEE or hiss to articulate with the center of your tongue,never with the tip..

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Jarrett,
    Speaking of Arch Tongue and Hiss and whistling, you might want to check out a guy who was local from my area. His name is Ron McCroby. He's scary good and before he died, he was helping Toots with whistling(who's a pretty good whistler already).
    Enjoy

5. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    And I thought I could whistle high, but when I did it with my piano I was only reaching what would be a B above the staff on a trumpet. Pretty much all I can do on the trumpet too...

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Rowuk says it very well. there are some small muscle movements that we can't control with our conscience mind. tongue arch and pivoting are two of these. If we try and make them happen we always over do it. If we learn to play in the center of notes with proper air support and a full sound, we will arch our tongue and pivot the horn only as needed in very small amounts. There are some things we do where we need to leave the muslces alone. Such as walking. If we tried to control our leg muscles with our conscience mind when we walked we would fall down.

I don't know what other problems you have. Are these problems your teacher has brought to your attention or have you been reading how to books? When I was in school I read how to play books. I got to where I couldn't play at all. Fortunately I figured out I had Paralysis by analysis. Is this what you have ?

7. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    That's probably some of it. Also with that I know I have a terrible time with taking things way to hard on myself when I have a not so good day or miss too many things in a rehersal. I do this when I'm doing tennis too. I've been trying, but I don't seem to ever have found a fix to that one. It's hard to self-motivate myself with how much I put myself down.

8. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    yep, I got a strong high G and a real spotty double C. Just like on trumpet...oh well. .

9. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    So now can we spark the discussion of whether or not training your whistling range can increase the trumpets range?

10. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    well, I used to use it as part of my warmup routine when I played at the top of my range a lot. I don't normally play up there now unless I'm just messing around.

I don't know about using whistling to "build" your range, but it helps me get my air apparatus working.