Tounging and Syllables...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hello all,
    I have always had a problem with multiple tounging and have tried everything to make it work. I can fake it pretty well but I feel this is a "must have" technique, especially on trpt. Can some of y'all talk to me a lil about how you learned to multiple tounge and maybe what you do to pull it off, i.e. ounge placement, syllables used, etc? Thxs

Bear

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    a few tips:

-if tukutuku doesnt work you can also try dagadaga or others to help.

-practice slow and even.

-As you get faster get lighter

-Remember you have to keep the air moving foward!

- keep the ku as foward as possible

practice exercies one from Arban's page 183, 175 and 155.

start slow everyday and play the exercsie 3 times

1) single tongued
    2) all ku,
    3) double( or triple) tongued

when you can do that at 60 BPM try to add some speed to it, one click at a time.

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    thxs,
    anyone else?

4. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Find the best player you can to listen for fine articulation. A good sound model is neccessary, put it in your mind and come closer to that model every day.

Ray Mase is a good place to start.

Phil Smith!!

5. Gnostic

Gnostic New Friend

Oct 24, 2003
    :)

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Ok,
    Everyone I talked to says to use a buttload of air... That is not my problem. I am a lead player and can blow a LOT of air at a very fast velocity. You can even check your air speed by hooking up a straw with a pinwheel to your horn... If anyone is interested in that let me know. I'll explain it. It really helps to see how the air should ALWAYS be fast and not change even for forte and piano passages... but that's a different topic. The back of my tounge just seems to be SSOOO big and cumbersome. Any thoughts on lightening that up? Whneven someone says "kight tounging" it seems to come out as mush and non distinctable. Help?! Thxs folxs.

Bear