TOUR STOP #1--TRICKG

Discussion in 'Horns' started by tom turner, Mar 7, 2004.

1. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Posted below will be the comments of TrickG's "Wild Ride!"

Enjoy!

Tom

2. tom turner

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    trickg's first post

trickg

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:21 pm Post subject: First Impressions of the Wild Thing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received the Wild Thing UPS yesterday. It is being nicely protected by a Walt Johnson case, is silver-plated and came with the #1 and #2 slides.

Let me just say that prior to playing this horn or looking up which slide was what, I started playing the horn with the #2 slide which was in it when it came.

I didn't have a lot of time yesterday, so I more or less just fiddled with both the WT and my own LB Bach Strad, 25 trumpet with several different mouthpieces starting with a Bach 5C.

First however, lets talk about fit and finish. Needless to say, everything about this horn is impeccable. Everything is on perfectly straight and the finish is flawless. There are no rough edges anywhere and everything seems to line up just right. One other observation that I had was that this horn is heavier than I thought it would be. Now on to the playing.

This horn is very responsive, and it tends to "sing" in your hand, even at the lowest of volumes. You can feel the horn resonating in your hand when you play. I'm not sure if this is considered a good thing or a bad thing, but I kind of like it and like I said, it's very responsive.

I play tested it first using the #2 slide and that gave me a very open feeling, smooth, round, dark sound...up to a point. It almost felt too open in the upper register and I really didn't care for it too much up there. Still next to my Bach, which is a good Bach among Bachs by the way, there is no real comparison. It makes my Bach sound and feel like a student model and I was very surprised by this because I haven't played a horn in a while that played head and shoulders better than mine. So, I fiddled with a couple of different mouthpieces to see if there was a fit issue (gap) and what the differences might be, but pretty much any mouthpiece seemed to play uniformly consistent with whichever slide happened to be in the horn. Intonation with the #2 slide was dead on though, especially if I was playing melodic type things in the staff.

Anyway after a while, I decided to try out slide #1. WOW! Big difference. All of a sudden the upper register was MUCH easier to play and when I fiddled around with some High C plus stuff, this horn certainly wasn't the limiting factor. Compared next to my Bach, it seems to have much better compression/back pressure and there is no fighting to get the horn to pop up there. Of course this is just my first impression with some fairly unsystematic fiddling and testing.

It was only today when I decided to look it up that I found out that the #1 slide is the most open of all of the tuning slides offered for the Wild Thing.

The one thing that has really surprised me is how responsive this horn is for how heavy it is.

I'll keep everyone posted on how the rest of my demo on the Wild Thing goes.

3. tom turner

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    trickg's second post

trickg,

Are you out there?

I don't know how to move your posts here without them appearing in my name.

Could you either paste 'em over to here or possibly post a final summation of your entire Wild Ride experience?

Thanks again for your participation!

Warmest regards,

Tom

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Sorry guys. I've been busier than a one-legged man in an arse kickin' contest. Below is the contents of my original post:

I received the Wild Thing UPS yesterday. It is being nicely protected by a Walt Johnson case, is silver-plated and came with the #1 and #2 slides.

Let me just say that prior to playing this horn or looking up which slide was what, I started playing the horn with the #2 slide which was in it when it came.

I didn't have a lot of time yesterday, so I more or less just fiddled with both the WT and my own LB Bach Strad, 25 trumpet with several different mouthpieces starting with a Bach 5C.

First however, lets talk about fit and finish. Needless to say, everything about this horn is impeccable. Everything is on perfectly straight and the finish is flawless. There are no rough edges anywhere and everything seems to line up just right. One other observation that I had was that this horn is heavier than I thought it would be. Now on to the playing.

This horn is very responsive, and it tends to "sing" in your hand, even at the lowest of volumes. You can feel the horn resonating in your hand when you play. I'm not sure if this is considered a good thing or a bad thing, but I kind of like it and like I said, it's very responsive.

I play tested it first using the #2 slide and that gave me a very open feeling, smooth, round, dark sound...up to a point. It almost felt too open in the upper register and I really didn't care for it too much up there. Still next to my Bach, which is a good Bach among Bachs by the way, there is no real comparison. It makes my Bach sound and feel like a student model and I was very surprised by this because I haven't played a horn in a while that played head and shoulders better than mine. So, I fiddled with a couple of different mouthpieces to see if there was a fit issue (gap) and what the differences might be, but pretty much any mouthpiece seemed to play uniformly consistent with whichever slide happened to be in the horn. Intonation with the #2 slide was dead on though, especially if I was playing melodic type things in the staff.

Anyway after a while, I decided to try out slide #1. WOW! Big difference. All of a sudden the upper register was MUCH easier to play and when I fiddled around with some High C plus stuff, this horn certainly wasn't the limiting factor. Compared next to my Bach, it seems to have much better compression/back pressure and there is no fighting to get the horn to pop up there. Of course this is just my first impression with some fairly unsystematic fiddling and testing.

It was only today when I decided to look it up that I found out that the #1 slide is the most open of all of the tuning slides offered for the Wild Thing.

The one thing that has really surprised me is how responsive this horn is for how heavy it is.

I'll keep everyone posted on how the rest of my demo on the Wild Thing goes.

Just a quick update to what I already posted. The Wild Thing is indeed a NICE playing horn. Unfortunately, I'm not at a place where I can really afford to put out that kind of cash for a trumpet, but I suppose that I can always save up.

The only thing that really bothers me about the Wild Thing is that mentally, even though it does play extremely well, I just can't seem to deal with the fact that this baby is .470 bore. Everything else about the horn was top notch though. Great valves, great fit and finish, super response, nicely balanced, both in the hand and the way that it plays, all added up to what fits in my mind as what a "Superhorn" should be. The ONLY other aspect of this horn that I might not like was it's weight. The Wild thing is a fairly heavy trumpet, at least as heavy as my Bach if not heavier, and I already get sore in my upper back from holding my horn up on gigs all night. I'm sure that I could get used to it though. :D