TOUR STOP #12 - RON

Discussion in 'Horns' started by tom turner, May 15, 2004.

1. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi Ron,

What did you think about the "Thang?"

Sincerely,

Tom

2. BrassClass

BrassClass New Friend

Apr 2, 2004
    Hi Ron,

How did you like the WT? I'd be curious to hear your comments. Please post when you can. I'm scheduled to receive it next week. Give me a hint of what I'm in for.

Thanks!

3. rjbirnbaum

rjbirnbaum New Friend

Feb 14, 2004
    I'ld first like to thank Tom and Flip for providing a wonderful opportunity to try out the Wild Thing.

This is a truly unique trumpet. From the very first note the sound of the Wild Thing is awesome. The horn almost sounds mic'd initially and the tone is just full and gorgeous. I've been playing a 1972 Bach 37 which is a great horn and open blowing (for a Bach). The difference in sound was pretty dramatic. The difference in blow was also pretty different. I first tried the #1 slide which was fine, but could sense that it would take some time to really control the horn with that big a difference in resistance. I then tried the #2 and felt much more comfortable. The difference in sound wasn't that dramatic. I have to say that because of work schedule I knew I wasn't going to get many hours on the horn so I didn't want to spend too much time making adjustments. I think one of the keys to the Wild Thing would be spending some time dialing in the blow/resistance with various moutpiece set-ups which I just didn't have available. To give some perspsective, however, years ago I used a Bach 1C and had a really nice orchestral sound. For the past 18 months of my comeback, I've been using a Northern Brass 63***** and working on the Balanced Embouchure method. My tone has gotten pretty good with the NB63, but sometimes a little "edgier" than I'ld like. With the Wild Thing, however, I got a darker and fuller tone with the NB63 than I ever got with the Bach 37/1C set-up. I think with an even more efficient mouthpiece, I would sound fine and have even better control of the Wild Thing.

Another example of the great sound: I went up to our church worship band rehearsal (which I don't play in) and let the trumpeter play the Wild Thing so I could sit in sanctuary and see if I could hear a difference in his playing. I've heard this band play many times and the trumpet player sometimes has trouble playing through the amplified rythm and vocals. The difference in sound was tremendous. He sounded great and could easily be heard. He plays a nice Mt. Vernon Bach. After their rehearsal we both played around with our Bach's and the Wild Thing. All the band members commented favorabley on the sound the of WT.

The most surprising quality, however, was how easily and clearly the horn responded in very fast articulated passages such as Arban's Carnival of Venice Var II and Hummel 3rd mvmt. One of the problems I've been having is getting clear round notes when double and triple tounging. I was amazed at how big of a difference the Wild Thing played on these pieces. I really thought this was all a matter of player technique and possibly the mouthpiece I was using, but the Wild Thing made all the difference in the world.

I would love to say that I was able to scream double C's, but I just don't have that range (yet). I'm just getting to good F's and G's, and they sounded bigger and better on the Wild Thing.

As far as endurance is concerned, it wasn't really an issue. It was certainly no worse with the Wild Thing. I believe endurance is really a player issue. Dialing in the mouthpiece set-up and making adjustments to playing style would help a bit.

The fit and finish of the horn was impeccable as expected. The feel of the horn was very solid but not overly heavy. The valves were particularly impressive; very fast with a nice action,...no too light, heavy or bouncy.

Well that's about all I have to say. I hope it's helpful to other readers. I'ld be glad to respond to any questions or clarification of my comments. And thanks again to Tom and Flip!

Regards,

Ron