TOUR STOP #3--PANGAEA

Discussion in 'Horns' started by tom turner, Mar 7, 2004.

1. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Here's pangaea's initial take on the horn. We can't wait for his full report!

Tom

pangaea

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:41 am Post subject: nice review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hand-off has occurred, and I spent about an hour last night playing the WT. Thanks to Paul for letting me wake his family up early yesterday...sorry!

I won't say much until I've played it more, but want to second the opinion that the WT is amazingly open across the horn--most impressive right off the bat was how open and easy the low register is. Below C it's beautiful, and I'm used to a schilke B1Lb (no slouch in the open-low register department).

More to come!

2. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Wild Thing Review and sound clips

I will post this review in stages. Sorry it's taken me so long to get to it...

First I'd like to post a series of clips I did comparing the WT to several other horns. I compared it to my Schilke B1Lb (in silver) and to my Olds Ambassador (lacquered, w/ Pilczuk leadpipe--as reviewed on the Trumpet Herald, where I post as "mulligan stew"). These are three very different horns with a wide range of playing characteristics. I thought it would be fun and informative to actually hear the WT. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to play and record it in a more musical setting.

Much has been said about the WT's level of craftsmanship, so I won't go into that here, except to say that in terms of "fit and finish" it is almost as good as the Schilke. And that's not damning with faint praise--the Schilke is impeccable and the WT nearly so. Perhaps because it is new and not yet completely broken in, the 1st and 3rd slides were a bit tight, whereas the Schilke's were, from day 1, smooth as silk. The WT's valves were very, very fine.

One thing about the WT that immediately impressed me--its sense of density. It felt heavier than it actually is, probably because it is shorter than the Schilke or the Olds, by almost a full 3/4". The wrap seemed slightly taller than the Schilke's.

I used the #1 slide for these tests; the #2 felt a bit more comfortable to me, but I wanted to test the horn as a true large-bore horn throughout, so I kept it large.

I recorded these exercises in one sitting, one one mouthpiece (a GR 65M), and with no editing or effects other than editing out the few seconds' gaps caused by changing horns. I wanted to reduce variables as much as possible. I used a pair of large-diaphragm condensers into my Mackie and an Echo Mia soundcard.

On each of the 5 exercises I played each horn. I won't say what the order was...see what you think. Despite the inherent loss in the mp3 format you can hear large differences in sound quality from one horn to the next, esp. on decent speakers.

here they are:

http://media.nowhereradio.com/cgi-bin/playsong/18654/1080048646/n/wmp/flexus.m3u

http://media.nowhereradio.com/cgi-bin/playsong/18655/1080048691/n/wmp/lipslurs.m3u

http://media.nowhereradio.com/cgi-bin/playsong/18656/1080048719/n/wmp/mcneil.m3u

http://media.nowhereradio.com/cgi-bin/playsong/18657/1080048742/n/wmp/range.m3u

http://media.nowhereradio.com/cgi-bin/playsong/18658/1080048766/n/wmp/improv.m3u

These links are designed to use Windows Media, in "hi-fi." I can post them again for all other media players if necessary.

3. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Good challenge!

The first horn has the most compact sound of the three. I felt that you had the most control over this horn and assumed you play it the most.

The second and third horns had a much more open sound. I assume they both had rather large bell flairs compared to the first one.

On the second horn you seemed to have the least control. It was most noticeable on Mcneil. Each note became airy and broken up before the next note started. This could have been because you played it directly after the tighter previous horn or that you have not done enough wood shedding with it to find its sweet spot. You may want to warm up on one horn and play all the excercies, then move on to the next horn if you felt this was due to going to the larger horn after the first one. This may greatly change the results.

The Third horn also had a huge sound that the second one did. The notes never became airy or broken up. Because all of the exercises you did where so quick and you never landed on many long notes. Due to this I could not get a good feel for which one I liked the best. Right now do to the broken up sound you had in several places with the second horn I lean towards #1 and #3 for YOU (which may be totally different for someone else). If you could record a short ballad or something from the art of phrasing from Arbans then I would have a much easier time deciding.

In the end it always comes down to what reacts to you the best. I must say I am curious to know which is which. Right now the guess is that #2 is the WT. I got to wonder how far off I am.

-marc

4. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    marc, check yer mail!

I did mostly flexibility-type stuff because to me that is where the WT really takes off--if I had more time I would have done longer, slower bits.

scott

5. nowave

nowave New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    brooklyn
    Nobody else wants to take the challenge? I would, but I already know the answers! I'll just say that no assumptions should be made regarding how well drunkIQ did :)

I do find it interesting how different all three horns sound, even through my crappy computer speakers.

6. nowave

nowave New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    brooklyn
    ps - sorry for the insipid smilie face.

7. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    Yeah, I will.

I liked the sound of #3. (I assume the order was the same for all the clips) I haven't play any of those three trumpets.

Nice flexibility and I liked your improv. (I like hearing stuff I can't do.)

mark

8. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    WAS IT HORN #1?, HORN #2?, or HORN #3?

Hi DrunkIQ,

Since I'm in on the "secret," I'll reveal this much information at this time . . . the Wild Thing is NOT horn #2. :lol:

Horn #2 is either the Schilke or the Olds Ambassador.

Come on everyone, log on and register your geuss!

Is the WT horn #1 . . . or horn #3?

This could be fun and INTERESTING!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

9. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    O.K., for what it's worth, here is my take on these pieces:
    Beginning with 'Flexus' I dubbed the horns 'H1', 'H2' and 'H3'.

Flexus:
    H-1 Best sounding with a good core of sound

H2 Sound isn't too bad, but it seems as if you are having difficulty controlling the horn.

H3 I don't like the sound, it's blatty and growly. You also seem to be having some slight control problems with this horn.

Lipslurs:
    First horn played----to me, it sounds like 'H3', growly and blatty.
    Second horn played----sounds like 'H2', sound isn't bad, but control is a problem.
    Third horn played---best sound, good core to the sound, seemed to be in control.

McNeil:
    First horn played---sounds like 'H1', best sound with good core/control.
    Second horn-----hard to control.
    Third horn---blatty and growly, control problems

Range:
    First horn-----sounds like 'H1' again, good sound/control/core
    Second horn---hard to control 'H2' again.
    Third horn-------'H3' again.

Improv:
    First horn----'H1' again
    Second horn----hard to control 'H2'
    Third horn----'H3' again, blatty and gravelly.

So, hope I didn't hurt anyones feelings with this, it's just what this amateur is hearing........................

Bill

10. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    No hurt feelings on my part. I put myself out there and would be a fool if I didn't like what I was hearing. Plus--this tour has allowed me to play an incredible horn, virtually for free, and now I'm getting free lessons! (place insipid smiley here--thanks nowave!).

And thanks Tom for your input--in a day or two I'll post the real order of horns, but yes, it's safe to say the WT is NOT horn #2.

C'mon, the rest of you guys--weigh in here and contribute to a real blindfold test. Give it a shot...btw, the order is the same in each test...

Off to rehearsal.