Tour Stop #8 - nowave

Discussion in 'Horns' started by nowave, Apr 15, 2004.

1. nowave

nowave New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    brooklyn
    I've had the Thing for a few days now and it's time to post a few impressions. I think I have a session today, and that will allow me to test it out in a more musical setting; in any event, I'll add to this at the end of my time with the horn.

The most interesting thing about the design of the horn is the bell. It flares very early and has a MUCH wider throat than any other horn I've seen. It's very obvious in a visual comparison with my B1Lb (which has Schilke's large bell).

In my first practise with the WT, I compared it back-to-back with my other horn, and was immediately attracted to the sound, which is very round and full. The blow is extremely open and consistent up and down the scale.

I should say that, like pangaea, I've played lightweight, ML-bore horns exclusively since the early '80s, so the WT feels like an entirely different animal to me! I think it would take me some time to acclimate to the very different design of the WT -- so I hesitate to post any conclusions until I have a few more hours on it.

Last night I practised with the WT only. I briefly used the #2 tuning slide, but went back to the #1 for that big sound. That big sound = big blow, and the Thing seemed to tire me out more quickly than my Schilke. Again, with time to adjust to the different air requirements (actually I think backing off the air helps), and maybe a tighter mouthpiece, I'm sure I'd start to feel comfortable with it.

So thus far, I'd say the thing I'm most impressed with is the very different and beautiful sound it produces. I'll post more when things occur to me.

Oh, and big hats off to Tom and Flip! What an incredibly generous idea this is.

2. BrassClass

BrassClass New Friend

Apr 2, 2004
    Hi nowave,

I'm in line on the Wild Thing tour and I also play a Schilke B1L like yourself. I am very curious how the WT slots compared to the B1L. Can you give me some feedback on that ?

Thanks!

3. nowave

nowave New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    brooklyn
    Hi BrassClass,

The whole slotting issue is interesting. In general I would say that the WT has tighter slots than the Schilke. Whether this is a good or bad thing depends on style of music, personal preference, etc. In playing with heavy valve caps on the Schilke, I found that I didn't like the tighter slotting they produced on that horn; it threw it out of balance for me. On the WT, the slotting makes sense as it's part of the heavier balance of the horn, if that makes any sense.

I think you'll love comparing them back to back. They're both killer horns, just different.

4. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    agreed on the slotting. My take is that the very lightweight Schilke is supposed to have wide slots (i.e., be flexible) whereas the WT (or any heavier horn) naturally has tighter slots. Whereas you can't force slotting on a schilke w/ heavy mods I'd bet that heavy caps feel great on the WT.

Nowave--what do you think of the upper register on the WT?

5. nowave

nowave New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    brooklyn
    Well, the WT sounds fat and open up to the limit of my range. It would be fun to try the horn with a tighter mouthpiece which would give a little more resistance to the blow, as I felt that my piece was a bit too open to match well. But the sound is great up and down the horn.

6. BrassClass

BrassClass New Friend

Apr 2, 2004
    Hi nowave,

When did you pass off the horn to Tour Stop #9? By your comments it sounds like you received the horn around the 12th. Allowing 5 days for the trial and about 2 days shipping per stop, it should be well in the hands of #9 or even #10 by now.

Come on #9 or #10 - Lets hear some feedback!

7. nowave

nowave New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    brooklyn
    BrassClass,

Sorry to be so late in replying. By now you've read rafterman's great post, so you're only a few weeks away from receiving the horn yourself.

8. nowave

nowave New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    brooklyn
    Final report time (well, past time, actually!) --

Unfortunately, I didn't have an opportunity to play the WT in a group setting. I was very curious as to what others would thing of my sound on the horn.

Anyway, as I mentioned before, the most intriguing aspect of the horn to me is the wide tone coming out of that wide bell. I used my normal GR 66M the entire time, but it would be fun to test the stated "chameleon-like" nature of the horn by using bigger and smaller pieces.

For me, the bigger tuning slide was the way to go -- even though I'd have to have more adjustment time with it.

Ultimately, it's a great horn all the way around, with a very different bell design setting it apart from other top-notch horns.

THE CASE: I loved the Walt Johnson single case the horn came in. Tiny, well made, and seemingly indestructable, it would be perfect for a city dweller like me, or anyone who has to carry their instrument around a lot. The hardware seems very strong, and it's light as well.

Once more, a big thank you to Tom and Flip for this great idea!