Tr300

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oohhh yeah, Jun 11, 2009.

Is the TR300 a good horn?

1. Yes, it will still take you a long way

25.0%
  2. No, it suxs ballz

12.5%
  3. Yes, but barely

25.0%
  4. It's a below average student horn

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Hi guys,

I have a few questions about the TR300. Is the Bach TR300 a good horn? When will my playing plateau on a horn like this and when should I get a pro horn? How much will a pro horn benefit me?

Thanks.

2. Trumpet_EG

Trumpet_EG New Friend

Jun 12, 2009
    I have no idea, but I happen to play a TR200, if anyone knows about that.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hard Question:
    It depends on each person. Remember It is a student horn, designed for robust work for young players, and to get a person into playing without a huge investment. I know a guy who loves his TR300, and has played a Strad for a rehersal but preferred his TR300.

It does depend on your efforts as well, and how far and fast you progress. If you are wanting to make things easier, and perhaps blend with an orchestra or a band then these things will also help to dictate the time for a change.

If you are going to depend on music for a living, and want to get the best gigs and get offers (and return work) then you need good, reliable tools.

I am not prejudiced against any horn, but did play the TR300 for a song, and found it way below the Strad. I used to play a Mercedes, and loved it. So in short, if you like it and it does what you need it to do, why change? If it doesn't, then upgrade before you get too frustrated.

So my vote was 3. Yes but barely.
    Cheers

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nobodies playing would plateau on a TR300. The horn does not make the player. Get that crap out of your head. YOU make music. A trumpet is (when it is clean) an inert piece of brass waiting for the right person to bring it to life.

5. oohhh yeah

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    I played all of the other guy's trumpets at my school, and my TR300 was much worse than my friends yamaha, I don't know what model the yamaha was, but i'm certain its a student model and my friend says its pretty cheap, so is it just a very special yamaha or are all student yamahas like that?

6. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Right on target!! Rowuk could not have stated it better. He almost took the words right out of my mouth from an earlier thread were I stated the same thing.

I play a Strad for concerts, etc. but still love to practice with my Bach Mercedes that I got while in college. My other favorite is my Bach Omega. There are times when people can not tell the difference between it and a Strad. The Omega is a horn that can really project a great tone when you are hot.

Practice my friend and master the fundamentals and your TR300 will sound just fine. It is a work horse and an excellent trumpet to cut your teeth on. When you have mastered the trumpet and are in first section, go to your local music store and try a Strad.

7. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Just something to mention, two of my classmates use TR300s in band and I have one sitting at home not getting much use. All 3 have very slow, clanky valves (even with oiling) and slow slides. The tone is decent but it has a lot of back pressure compared to the Yamahas and Getzens. So no matter how good you get, slow valves would slow down your progression.

Rushtucky: I might be wrong, but I think I heard somewhere that bach omegas were basically strad parts with cheaper assembly line workers.

8. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Trumpets respond differently, especially on how they are cared for. I am not indicating that you or your students abuse them. The TR300 is a great instrument and several of my students have them. As far as the "clanky" noise, yes, Bach valves do tend to be a bit noisey. I will concede this point. But overall, the TR300 is one solid instrument and projects a great sound when played by an above average musician.

The Omega is basically a Strad clone with a two piece bell. It is slightly a step down, but a very solid instrument and becoming more sought after (2001 models and older). There is a TRP100 model that is sold by stores in Europe and a few in the US. These are specially made Omega/Strads. They have the name Bach Omega by Strad on the bell. They are heavier, have a second spit valve and the the two piece bell. I was not impressed with them.

9. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    FWIW,

As a private lesson teacher, I HATE the Bach TR-300. I've found that they have horrible valves and the intonation isn't much better (it's possible to play in tune on these, but you have to do some crazy acrobatics). Keep in mind, I'm talking about TR-300s made in the last couple of years.

Rowuk, you're right, a horn does not make a musician. BUT, a faulty piece of equipment can be very frustrating to a student who is doing all the right things but not getting the results he or she should be.

In my experience, the equivalent Getzen beginner horn is at least 6,000 times better than the Bach. Maybe 6,001.

-Jimi

10. oohhh yeah

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Howcome I have people who say the horn is pretty good but people who say the horn is crap, does the year its made have anything to do with this? I bought mine in late 2007, so are the new Bachs worse than the old bachs?