Tr300

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oohhh yeah, Jun 11, 2009.

Is the TR300 a good horn?

1. Yes, it will still take you a long way

25.0%
  2. No, it suxs ballz

12.5%
  3. Yes, but barely

25.0%
  4. It's a below average student horn

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I am not going to get into a debate over what brand of instrument is supposedly better than the other. Most brand name beginner instruments produced in the United States are basically compariable. Instruments that are "iffy" are those produced in China or India. Of course there are private instructors that have their own preferences. Most band directors prefer brand name instruments for students which can be purchased or rented from local music stores.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is easy: there are those of us that focus on the player, and others that focus on the hardware. All of the students that I have had with the TR300 have had no trouble with the horn. They all get taught how to clean the instrument and properly oil the valves.

There are no especially good or bad years for student horns. There are good and bad years for student players however.ROFL

You can't compare a horn by briefly playing a friends during rehearsal. You really need it for a week in a variety of rooms to figure it out. That being said, I consider Yamaha instruments to be an exceptional value in every price category. Its interesting how we have literally no complaints about that company here at TM.

3. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thank you Rowuk....

And yes, Yamaha makes an excellent instrument.

4. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I have a CR300, which is the cornet. It looks terrible, and judging from the fact that when I got it the tuning slide was fused to the leadpipe with solid green corrosion, it was not well maintained. Yet, I cleaned out the valves and pistons, squirted in some Al Cass, and I don't have any problems. The valves aren't as nice as my Xeno, but I would hope so.

5. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    I've not played any Bachs other than their Strads. But, I'd venture to guess that your TR-300 is a fine student quality horn at the very least that, and as others have commented here, would not limit your ability to develop and progress as a player. When I was in high school, there were guys on Conn Directors and Bundys who played wonderfully, and their student quality horns did not hold them back at all.

So when would be a good time to jump to a pro quality horn? Different opinions here for any number of reasons. Are you interested AND motivated to continue playing and advancing your skills throughout high school, college, and beyond? This question is usually asked by folks who don't like to spend unnecessarily, or are on a budget. If your folks and you don't mind shelling out at least $1,800 for a pro quality horn regardless of your level of interest or motivation, there's nothing to stop you from getting a pro quality horn now - why not, right?

What I like about the pro quality horns that I've played is that they are oftentimes easier to play and you seem to play and sound better on them. I just play-tested my friend's 1942 Bach NY Strad for the past 2 months, and although I consider my Kanstul 700 a pro quality horn, my flexibility and overall ability to play was just a tad bit easier and better on the Strad. I could see myself owning JUST 1 trumpet: THAT trumpet. :-)

The quality of your equipment is certainly a factor in how you play, but the most significant factor is your playing skills. The guys in here can tell you that Freddie Hubbard and Blue Mitchell both played and recorded using Olds Ambassadors, which although were marketed as student horns, played more like intermediate or pro level horns. Personally, when playing in a small jazz combo, I like playing my '67 Olds Ambassador just as well as any other horn I currently own; kind of like the post about the guy owning a Strad but preferring to play his TR-300, at least some of the time.

It usually comes down to what players prefer to play, and not how much money they've spent on their equipment or what category their equipment falls in (student vs. intermediate vs. prof). For example, the trumpet player in Ricky Martin's touring band plays a Kanstul 700. So, why did he choose this horn over much more expensive Kanstuls? On another website, some folks swear by the Yamaha 2335, the lowest trumpet in their line. Personal preference.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  6. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Pretty sure Clifford Brown played on a "student" horn and 10.5w mouthpiece.
    Sounds good to me...:cool:
    Andrew