Traded Zeus for Phaeton...am very happy!!!!!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Phatmon, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
    I traded my Olympus for a Phaeton-2030. Jeez what a sweet looking horn and it plays so nice too!!! Actually i might have gotten screwed on the deal cause I traded both my Zeus and Holton MF st-308 on this Phaeton but I am very happy with it and have finally found a horn I can play and improve on. The person I traded with sent me this email I want to post it to show those who own silverplated instruments what not to do:

I decided to hold on to them both for a couple reasons... one is.. I ruined the silver one.. So you know. I sent the phaeton yesterday it should be there on wed.. tracking number is USPS xxxxxxx I messed up man.. hehe. I went and bleached the horns to try and sanitize them and the silver one had it's finish eaten off. I don't think you even want to know what it looks like now.. but I'll tell you.. it's coffee brown and very ugly.. I freeked.. I didn't know bleach would eat the silver like that.. I am working on sending it in to have it fixed. The other one is great but the valves are a little weak so I may go ahead and have new springs put in. WORD OF ADVICE DON"T USE BLEACH to sanitize your trumpets!! use alcohol. i learned this

The Phaeton I sent you is both those trumpets and more so I felt it more appropriate to do a fair trade. I honestly believe it to be a fair trade. I don't think either of us was screwed. I would have sent you one back out of good honesty but I think you wanted the phaeton more and you don't even want to see that silver well, brown one now.. I am not kidding dude, that thang just got eaten up. I'll tell you what though.. you'll like that new phaeton.

Oh i checked out trumpetstuff.com.. It's cool as heck man, I listened to some rafaiel mendez and some clifford and some other old school.. i'm impressed.. but to be honest.. i can play like those guys.. in my heart.. hehe.. talk to you later dude.

Well at least it is good reading!! Merry Christmas!!!!

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    How does the Phaeton compare to the Olympus? Enquiring minds want to know!

Jim

3. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
    To get a profesional answer from me would be impossible. My trumpet playing exceeds no farther than high school 1st chair 2nd part with 20 years or so of not playing at all and just within the last year getting back into it, going all out with alot of practice and private lessons. What I can tell you is that I was very happy with my Olympus, had trouble with the raw brass finish (keeping it clean and from turning green from my hands). As far as the way both horns played, for me the upper register is easier with the Phaeton which to me is important for right now, I am at a easy high c and improving. When it comes to timbre, sustain, projection of sound, resonance etc, all that stuff the pros talk about the Phaeton for me seems to fit all of these better. To put it another way the Zeus may have been too Profesional a horn for me. If that makes sense. I would like to hear from some of the more seasoned players that have played both horns and get their thoughts on either one or the other or both. I had heard that Kanstul had something to do with Phaeton also. Not sure on that though. :dontknow:

4. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
    To add to the former post. The person I traded with was really looking for a Zeus Olympus and I guess we both just happend to find the right person with the right horn at the right time. I cant understand him wanting to mess with the valves though, the action was just fine for me. I guess every one comes out satisfied at the end :D

5. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester New Friend

Aug 9, 2004
    Belgium, Brussels
  6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Uncle Fester,

Too much beer, chocolate and saxogroans for you!

[​IMG]

:-P

Jim