Tragedy in the Gulf

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Manny Laureano, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    My heart goes out to all those suffering as a result of the levee failures in Biloxi, Mississippi and New Orleans, Lousiana.

That a place that has given the world so much music should be in the chaos it is is very sad indeed. There are a great many organizations that are helping in addition to government aid and I wanted to tell you about one to which I gave today. It's called Feed the Children and they've been around for a long time. Normally 91% of your donations go to actually helping families but during this disaster, 100% of your donation will go directly to aid the needy at this terrible time in our nation's history.

Of course, the Red Cross is at the forefront of activity in the relief effort. I just wanted to make sure folks knew about this wonderful organization as well. They have a website

http://www.feedthechildren.org

Also, the phone number is 1-888-58CHILD

I called from the road today and the response was fairly quick considering they've had a great number of calls. If you're considering giving and have the means, please be generous. These folks need some serious help. This whole thing makes me terribly sad. I hope they can get it worked out sooner rather than later. They may not have electricity down there for many weeks!

ML

2. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    Good on you, Manny. The TV footage is stunning . Mile after mile of destruction. It's like looking at 9/11 , but on a much larger scale.

Let's all give as much as we can!

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    No more French Quarter, Preservation Hall, late nite jam sessions in the summer heat.... so sad...

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    It is extremely sad and frightening indeed. But life has a way of grabbing hold and clawing to the surface even in the most extreme circumstances. I'm sure the Gulf coast will recover.

In the next few days, I am sure many opportunities to give will arise. Those of us who can give, should. Unfortuantely, so will the scams, so be sure you are giving to a well established organization like the one Manny recommended, or the Red Cross.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey,

Any creditable organizations y'all know of that are helping out? Let's make a list if you know they have the history, logistical support, to merit sending money. Let's really try to limit it to people that won't, while well-intentioned, squander any resources we send.

It seems, by the way, that we're all stepping up to the plate with donations. At this point, for as much as the private citizenry gave to the tidal wave relief effort, we've come close to or already surpassed that amount in what we've sent to help our brethren in Mississipi and Louisiana.

Thanks, folks...

ML

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    hey gang.

I know that we're not even close to realizing the devastation the hurricane has left on the Gulf Coast... I'm auctioning off copies of my Trumpet 101 CD on ebay and all the money raised after my listing fees/postage will go to the Red Cross.

I will also be selling my cds on CD Baby with entire proceeds going to the Red Cross.

I suggest everyone here who can donate to do so. If everyone in the US donated just one dollar we'd provide BASICS for these people who are suffering incredibly.

The link for my Ebay auctions is here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4764021218
    For my CD baby site (more copies will be there within a week or so)
    www.cdbaby.com/trentaustin

Thanks for looking and I hope we can all do what we can to help these tragic victims who lost everything. My wife and I almost moved to NOLA two years ago and we have many friends in the area who are facing total losses (but fortunately they escaped without anyone getting seriously hurt).

Trent

7. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
  8. dwhass

dwhass New Friend

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    All that history, all the memories....

Hopefully the families will be able to recover all of those vintage instruments that town must have before demolition starts.

Our prayers go out to everyone affected by the storm.

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Another one I saw on Dateline last night...Salvation Army.

Phatmon...can you double check your link? I got an error.

Just came back from Yahoo. The lead headline includes a link to Habitat for Humanity in the sidebar, a missing persons link also in the sidebar, and there is a link on how to help on the Yahoo home page.

Let's pitch in, folks.

10. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London

Just add another "p" to the end of the link, to make it index.php