Tranpostion book

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, May 14, 2011.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I am wondering if anyone has a copy of Broiles: Have Trumpet . . . Will Transpose (C. Colin). I am looking for it to get some insight on transposition and also add it to my method book collection. If you aren't willing to part with it I understand.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Each of my students had to find their own way to transposition. Some read intervals, some read clefs, I use a combination.

In school I would sub on tuba(sousaphone) or baritone horn bass clef. My girlfriend played alto saxophone and one day I discovered that bass clef baritone was the same as Eb transposition. C transposition was always thinking intervals, D was a combination and the rest came out of necessity.

What I am saying, is that EVERY book is insight to transposition. I don't want to part with any of my books though.

The best transposition insight was the will to play duets with my girlfriend - also at church! I transcribed the Eb parts for her, played the C parts myself. Writing also strengthens our sense of intervals and purpose.

3. cobragamer

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Would anyone be willing to copy me some pages out of it since it is being used for student purposes anyways.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It is my belief that most transposition for Bb trumpet is from concert C music. For me this has been as simple as adding 2 # to key signature and raising the notes two semi tones (half steps). Most of the time I just sight read this.

As I have the ability to play the bass brass also, I actually have to write out any transposition to Eb tuba and a BBb Sousaphone, and now I am regretting the recent sale of my C tuba on the premise that I now have no aspiration to play the same in a symphony orchestra, chamber group or quintet.

5. cobragamer

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Unfortunately, there is more transpositions that trumpets have to learn than up a step. Up and down a half, whole, minor third, then up a third, fourth and even a tri-tone. It just depends on what kind music needs to be played. Thanks for the responses guys.If I cant find a copy of this book whether online or through our schools interlibrary loan system then I am wondering if someone here would have access to a copy of it since it is relatively old book and is out of print.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Very true if you desire to, or need to change keys, tranposition gets tricky but meaningful. I've found a lot of the concert C music to be bland on the Bb trumpet, vis Carolina In The Morning by Walter Donaldson where I "kick it" from the key of C to the key of D with all the other instruments making such change also. Just make a Bb trumpet "shine more" IMO.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The standard orchestral parts are for trumpet in A, Bb, C, D, Eb, E and F. There is a bit of opera where trumpet in G or Ab is written, but VERY seldom.

The symphony player can transpose all of that stuff from the Bb or C.

A good source for stuff to practice are the actual orchestral excerpts. Then you are working on the real thing. The following books ARE in print:

Orchestral Excerpts from the Symphonic Repertoire - Voisin/Bartold - Volume 1-7

The Essential Orchestral Excerpts - DOBRZELEWSKI - Volume 1-16

Hofmeisters Orchesterstudien Volumes 1-3

You can also get many of the originals (93000 scores) legally for free here: IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library: Free Public Domain Sheet Music