Transcription aids

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tom Mac, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    I have been using an application called "Slow Gold". It slows tracks down w/o changing the pitch and allows you to create loops for especially difficult passages. It is generally satisfactory except that the sound suffers some at slower speeds (1/2 speed and slower). I've been using this for about 4 or 5 years and haven't kept up with what's out there. How does this compair to what is being used by those of you who are using different software. Thanks in advance for your comments

T. Mac

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Windows media player can slow things down. There is a program called the great slowdowner. There is one called Transcribe! as well.
    Sound quality will always suffer when you slow it down.
    I use Adobe Audition if I need to slow down or loop something.

3. Dave

Dave Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    A friend showed me this today, a free dowload called Audacity.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
    About Audacity

Audacity is a free, easy-to-use audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems. You can use Audacity to:
    • Record live audio.
    • Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
    • Edit Ogg Vorbis, MP3, and WAV sound files.
    • Cut, copy, splice, and mix sounds together.
    • Change the speed or pitch of a recording.
    • And more! See the complete list of features.
    About Free Software

Audacity is free software, developed by a group of volunteers and distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
    Free software is not just free of cost (like “free beerâ€). It is free as in freedom (like “free speechâ€). Free software gives you the freedom to use a program, study how it works, improve it, and share it with others. For more information, visit the Free Software Foundation.
    Programs like Audacity are also called open source software, because their source code is available for anyone to study or use. There are thousands of other free and open source programs, including the Mozilla web browser, the OpenOffice.org office suite, and entire Linux-based operating systems.

What he showed me was pretty good.

-cw-

5. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007