Transitioning From A beginners trumpet to a Professional One

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RicardoStalwart, Aug 15, 2013.

1. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Ricardo's Trumpets.jpg Ricardo Stalwart's Trumpet Gen 1 &2.jpg Roy Benson TR-101 Student TRumpet
    Eastern Custom 885DG Model
    Ricardo's Mouthpiece.jpg
    Hello guys, I've recently upgraded from a beginners horn to a professional horn(Ill let you guess which 1 is the professional one). Thus far Ive noticed the newer horn is a bit darker,but also very brilliant in the upper register with beautiful intonation. My older horn is brighter and now that I have switched its harder to play on my beginner horn because the buttons feel weird and more work to sound how I wish, but it still is quite beautiful.

Lately Ive noticed that the horn requires more frequent valve oil application (I Use Al Cass) and I'm having difficult breaking the things I used to do to compensate for old fashioned mouthpieces and beginner horns like making some adjustments of the horn for playing in different registers. But I dont really have to do that anymore with my new mouthpiece/horn; but my subconscious always gets the best of me. Most people dont play with these style horns; except fo some professional jazz/classical guys who like monettes and horns of that sort. Does anybody have any advice?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Trying to figure where your questions are coming from. Let's work with this one first. Some horns will be more sensitive to this. You will just have to oil them more frequently. Just don't let them sit dry like this as residue will become a problem. You may want to experiment with other good oils as well such as UltraPure.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sounds like this problem is solved.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Practice a lot on the new horn, it will take a while to get use to this. At this point, because your are learning it's virtues, just stick to this one horn.

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Those valves may never break in...

6. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Ok Ill try another oil, but the bigger problem is that I feel like I have to analyze to the point where I physical/mentally understand how to approach playing this horn. I've essentially switched from a Toyota Camry to a BMW745 which drives great and I stopped driving the Camry but certain Camry habits I cant permanently get rid of. Somedays they appear as If I didn't already learn that things are much easier with the BMW(the new horn).

For example tone manipulation the lower register is so beautiful/easy on this horn which may be attributed to the heavier valve caps/ mouthpiece/horn quality , but I found ways that took a while to do the same on my old horn that I don't need to do on this horn. I just cant help it. Maybe Ill get out of it its a matter of conditioning; I had this horn for about 2 months now thats why Im a bit concerned but I only quit playing my other horn about 2 weeks ago. I guess Ill wait and see

7. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  8. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Why do you say that?{ msuical mason} Have you learned that from a previous experience. That's quite interesting to me because the valve action is superb on this horn, its like your barely pressing them. They make the other pistons feel like toys to me now. But I'm applying oil about twice a day. My last horn once every day or once every two days would be just fine and I was putting in more hours back then relative to now because Im entering my senior year in college; but I'm still putting in at least 100 minutes a day 5 days a week

9. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    They may be great...I have no personal experience with that model. Some Chinese horns are very good. That said, I suggest you use lots of whatever oil you choose. Those valves have a tendency to degrade very quickly. More metal doesn't always mean an "upgrade". You went one from one Chinese horn to another, I hope it works out for you.

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Congratulations on the new horn.

On a new horn, sometimes the valves need a break-in period. With a new horn, what I've done is to oil the valves daily. Anytime the valves stick, I'd take them out, wipe the valves and the casings with a lint-free rag, and then re-oil the valves.

Mike