Transitioning From A beginners trumpet to a Professional One

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RicardoStalwart, Aug 15, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    He's right regarding the Committee... But I am blessed with the valves faster than my Recordings on that horn... but this horn is a dirty slotting horn, and that's what give it the beauty I enjoy in playing in small jazz ensembles. Therefore, I like a mouthpiece that gives me room to play with additional puffs of air, to give the Committee more material to color with.

I love the Harrelson for a completely opposite reason. That horn is as accurate as a laser. In all ranges. For that a mouthpiece that directs the flow into the horn is the best for me. I like the Jettone Studio B with that horn.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting in that Jason Harrelson supports this idea with the post that Ted provided a few posts ago.

4. Do not switch mouthpieces. I recommend using the same mouthpiece for the entire acclimation period. Choose the mouthpiece that is most comfortable and enduring to you. Do not choose a mouthpiece that is too wide a diameter or too deep a cup. Though large mouthpieces produce a very nice sound, only a small percentage of players find them suitable for daily playing. Choose a mouthpiece that feels comfortable first. Your concept of sound will develop into reality with almost any mouthpiece.

3. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Haha! a Packard was nearly my first horn those are also more popular in Europe. My horn is made by Eastern Music; pretty damn good prices very satisfied customers one of the only places I know that sells a bass clarinet for just under $1000(very expensive instrument) as for the other horn ; another guy on ebay sells realy neat instruments for fair prices/great relative to American prices Ill pm you the links I have to log in my account to find him.