Transporting horns on motorcycle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by thomasando, Feb 23, 2014.

1. thomasando

thomasando New Friend

Aug 1, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    This is something I thought might have been asked already, but a search turned up nothing (though a few similar questions for bicycles).

I'm needing to do some regular travel to receive some lessons (~100km each direction) and my 'gigging area' typically encompasses a radius of about 250km. To save in some fuel costs with all the travel (for times when I only need to pack light) I'm looking at getting a motorbike.

I'd need to transport at most 2 horns and an ipad/music folders. I currently have two cases which will achieve this - a protec triple trumpet (with Bb and flugel) and a bach triple gig bag (for C and Bb).

I'm new to motorbikes too so very green on what's available in terms of carrying stuff. My requirements that I can see are:
    - Ability to waterproof (via a bag rain jacket/cover if necessary)
    - Sturdy case (ie. more than just a 'bag')
    - Not a backpack - must be able to be attached to/carried on the bike somehow.

Does anybody carry horns regularly on a motorbike, and if so, what do you use/how do you achieve it?

Tom

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I don't ride a motorbike, but if I did I would seriously look at the Torpedo cases. Get Panniers for the iPad and music.

It is not the normal riding conditions, it is the crash and fall you need to worry about. Queenslanders don't see bikes period....too much sun and short skirts to divert the eye.

Welcome to TM, tell us more about yourself

3. thomasando

thomasando New Friend

Aug 1, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    I just want something that can carry them and keep them dry (you know, Qld storms!)... and keep them off my back so that in the event of a crash and fall, I don't end up injured any more than I otherwise would be (if that makes sense). If the horns don't make it - then they're insured. And I don't rely on them for making a living - though consideration for protection of them in the event of a fall on the way to a gig is something I hadn't considered....

Those Torpedo cases look awesome - thanks for the link! They'd certainly cater for looking after the horns in a fall...

Have started an intro thread :)

4. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    +1 Torpedo case. Sheet music in saddle bags on the bike protected in plastic which is the only drawback of the Torpedo case.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've carried a cornet in a ProTec case on my motorcycle a few times, either slung over my back with a shoulder strap, or bunge-corded to the passenger portion of the seat. Other than as a backpack, I'd imagine a triple case would be too large to carry unless you had a rather large luggage rack with an upright to strap the case to.

Generally, if you buy a bike that's large enough to travel on the highway without too much strain, it won't get much better gas mileage than a small economy car will.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I was carrying my cornet on a motorcycle once and my front wheel slipped on diesel fuel that had been leaked by a truck right down the step made by the dilation joint of a bridge. I had my case very secure with a an intricate bungee cord job that was state of the art, so the damage was minimal but was there nonetheless (dent in the shepherd crook). A Torpedo bag seems to be a good idea. Any case will become waterproof is you just wrap it in a heavy duty polyethylene (i.e. garbage) bag.

Riding motorcycles is tricky. It requires to sustain a high level of alertness for longer periods of time and a wider variety of situations than than any other vehicle I know (I'm a pilot and flight instructor with 3000+ hours). The cruising moments will trick you into complacency. Even minor falls are big inconveniences, and pricey ones at that. If you're looking at a way to go from A to B, my thinking is that the money saved on gas might very quickly be spent on medical and repair bills. Not to mention the lost transportation until you and the rig are roadworthy again.

I won't argue that they are fun to ride and, for myself, I wouldn't ride them for anything but fun.

7. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    If you have a bigger bike it should be pretty easy to attach a case to a luggage rack or back seat/back rest using bungee cords and/or bungee net. I've never done this with trumpets but I have done it with bags as large as what you're talking about. Trash bag would be sufficient to protect from rain.

Didn't Joey "The Lips" Fagan do this in the movie "The Commitments"? :lol:

Obviously, if you dump or get hit, not only will you mess up yourself and your bike, but your horns/cases as well. Which makes a bad day all the worse......

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
  9. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Torpedo Peacemaker!

10. thomasando

thomasando New Friend

Aug 1, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    Thanks all. Commuting is only part of it - I also want to experience the exhilaration that comes from riding that my dad, brother and step-father are always talking about - so it's not just to get to/from lessons and gigs, but it would be convenient if a bike could also do that - best of both worlds?

As for bike size - I'm looking initially at a Suzuki GS500. They're easy to come by in good condition for a very good price (in fact can be picked up brand new for under $6000) and arguably one of the best 'newbie friendly' bikes that it's legal to ride in Qld on a restricted license.

That brings me down to economy. My 'small car' gets about double the fuel usage of this bike (the car gets about 8.5L/100km, the particular bike I just mentioned gets around 4L/100km from what I'm reading)... But there's more to it than just saving a few bucks on fuel and getting around.