Transporting horns on motorcycle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by thomasando, Feb 23, 2014.

1. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    You need some sort of hard case--a soft-sided gig bag will be a big mistake. I use a couple of different Protec cases, but have also used the factory cases with success. I have ridden bikes with and without luggage racks and back rests/sissy bars and transported horns on both successfully, but a luggage rack and back rest (can you even get a sissy bar any more) make things easier. Bungee cords work well to attach your horns but don't skimp on the quality. Your cases should be secured to prevent both front/rear and side to side movement. If you forget the side to side you will probably live to regret it. As an added safety I loop the shoulder strap of the Protec cases over the back rest--just in case. Heavy duty lawn and garden "trash" bags work well for keeping your horns dry, just tuck up the loose ends tightly. It's also easy to carry spares. I haven't had a bike without some sort of saddle bags since 1974 and that's where I carry my music and other items. One thing you have to be aware of is motorcycle vibration--your motorcycle will vibrate and things that are allowed to rest against one another without adequate padding will--repeat will--damage one another. So your iPad needs to to be in it's own padded case and other items need to be padded as well. In summation: a good luggage rack, a back rest, good bungee cords, saddle bags and heavy duty lawn and garden trash bags--you should be set. I've been transporting horns that way since 1970, and haven't lost one yet.

2. thomasando

thomasando New Friend

Aug 1, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    Thankyou for the detailed response amzi - lots to think about, lots of good information - and nice and newbie friendly. Thanks!

3. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    At the Mardi Gras I sometimes take my bike downtown because it's much easier to find parking than for a car. I use the torpedo loredo. I just throw it over my shoulder and go

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    In 30 years as a cop none of the motorcycle accidents I attended involved anyone carrying a trumpet. Therefore carrying a trumpet must make bike riding safer. :cool:

5. thomasando

thomasando New Friend

Aug 1, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    LOL!! Can't fault that logic!!

6. magnetman

magnetman New Friend

Nov 3, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    If your exhilarating 100s of Kms are going to be spent up and down the Bruce and Pacific Highways the only trumpet case I would recommend would be one with 4 wheels that contained you as well. You should be able to improve on your gas mileage with most recent small cars, and any bigger bike suitable for longer trips will, as had been mentioned, have higher consumption. As an ex 2 wheeler and a medic I can't recommend Queensland roads unless you like Russian roulette, they will get you sooner or later I'm afraid.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thunderstorms are fun on motorcycles! The wind, the rain, and lightning, ahhhh exhilarating! And then there are drop bears (can't lock the doors on a motorcycle). If you do lay it down there are some many Oz critters waiting to have you for dinner. Are morlocks indigenous to Oz?

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Why not get yourself a bike with a side-car? Or a large scooter where you can stow your bag around your feet. Best would be the BMW C-1 (discontinued, but still available in good condition) which is the only bike with a windscreen, a roll-cage and a large bag compartment which would fit a double torpedo case.

Or, as some posters have pointed out, get yourself a small economy car. If you really need the fresh air, get yourself a convertible. The Peugeot 207 CC as a Diesel would be an obvious choice - open, small, and super-economic (around the 60 mpg mark, if you don't rush).

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    The way to go ;-)

[​IMG]

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nice but drop bears can still get in!