Transporting horns on motorcycle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by thomasando, Feb 23, 2014.

1. ShaneChalke

ShaneChalke Pianissimo User

Dec 11, 2008
    Banner Elk, NC
    I play 4 or 5 gigs a week, and go to almost all of them on my Vespa. I live in a city, so I don't usually venture more than 10 miles for a gig, and I have weekly gigs at the same nightclub within 2 miles. For me, I want all my stuff to fit in one backpack case, so I use one of Ewan Mains cases. Holds my Flugel, trumpet, stands, microphone, and mutes if it's a big band gig. I don't usually have music, but there is a nice outside pocket for that. All in one backpack -- works great for me. On a few occasions I only need the trumpet -- for that I use a Torpedo Outlaw -- over the shoulder and done -- awesome! By the way, I get about 80 miles per gallon!
    [​IMG]

2. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    I actually don't even have to throw it over my shoulder if I want to secure it to the bike. Plenty of places to do that. The Harley only gets 60 to the gallon though but they are very fun miles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If you get 60 mpg on that H-D, you must do a lot of coasting...

4. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Carbureted 88 v twin and I drive the speed limit since its a cruiser and not a race bike. :)
    If you want to get technical its 55.5 mpg not 60mpg I just rounded up.
    Officially though this bike is supposed to get closer to 50 mpg on the hwy so I must be doing something right to get that extra miles per/gal out of it.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/wide_glide.htm

5. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I only get about 50 mpg on the highway on my smaller 61 ci Sportster, and it's not a race bike, either...of course as they say, your mileage may vary...:D

[​IMG]

6. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    I think the fuel grade has a lot to do with it as well and don't use ethanol. Wow a Motorbike thread on a trumpet forum, I feel like I should recommend valve oil or something to clear my conscious.

7. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    [​IMG]

8. DestinoJjm

DestinoJjm New Friend

Dec 28, 2013
    I commute to most of my gigs and teaching on a Honda Shadow 750. I get 50 mpg, but I do ride fairly hard. For gigs with just one horn I use a torpedo classic and strap it to the sissy bar. For gigs with multiple horns I use a protec and bungee it to the sissy bar and back seat. I keep an eye on the forecast and will take the wife's van if it is too nasty to ride. I bike is cheaper in gas and insurance then my car I sold. I had saddle bags that I would carry extras, music and even my picc. In.

The Gs500 would be a great first bike. I was looking at them before I found my shadow. Honestly, the worst thing about commuting to gigs on the bike are people telling you how dangerous they are.

Justin

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hey, my wife says they are , so … ;-)