Transporting horns on motorcycle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by thomasando, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I had a motorcycle before I got married, and I continue to ride one to this day, 40+ years later. They're not too dangerous if you know what you're doing, and ride like everyone is out to hit you. The strangers who preach to you about the danger are just jealous...;-)

2. magnetman

magnetman New Friend

Nov 3, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    ...or have to see and deal with the end result every single week of their working lives... as they say, its not *if* you crash on a bike, its when.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Vegemite is the solution to Drop Bears. Some of the small 3 cylinder Suzukis - say and Alto, are amazingly fuel efficient and come in at about $14K new.

4. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Most of what you are talking about is just natural selection at work. People who know how to ride and who don't do stupid things have a very good chance of not being involved in a wreck.

5. thomasando

thomasando New Friend

Aug 1, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    I can see that! :)

I despise cars that have no power. I already have a smaller car that has reasonable economy but like I said earlier, there's more to it than just a cheap commuter. I want a bike regardless for the thrill of the ride - if it can carry horns (even if only around the local area, not the 100km haul to my lessons) then it's a bonus.

I appreciate just how dangerous riding a motorcycle can be. I get it. I'm not blazing into it all gung-ho, and I'm not an idiot on the roads (or water for that matter) anyway. I know that doesn't make me immune but I at least want to give it a go.

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    As for safety, I rode motorcycles into Central London to work for most of my 30 year service. Never had an accident. Bikes are safe enough if you ride sensibly, it's speed in the wrong place that causes the problems.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I always thought it was the rapid de-acceleration that caused the problems! :roll:

8. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA

Now here's somebody who's thinking with a bit of common sense. Although new or even used ones are pricey, perhaps look for some back yard mechanic to put something together. That's the way to go for safety and convenience and nobody's said anything about rain and extra clothing for the gig.

9. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    To me, motorcycles are a purely recreational item. Fun to ride when the weather is decent, wonderful for exploring country back roads on a crisp summer morning, riding with friends to a good cafe in a neighboring town, or just riding a bit to clear my head. What I don't do is commute, vacation on it, ride in bad weather conditions (unless I'm caught out in it), or try to use it for utilitarian functions. Rush hour traffic in the city is no fun (and increases the danger factor), and trying to strap on all sorts of bulky carry items, trailers, etc. just takes the fun out of it. Who wants to show up at a nice gig with helmet hair and smelling like the road, anyway?...:lol:

10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Do you know the term some medics use for motorcyclists?
    Yep - "future organ donors".