Transposing and sight reading

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Dec 3, 2009.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Tonight as part of my practice I tried to sight read and transpose "Fool's Rush In" I had a liitle bit of a hard time not used to transposing and sight reading my teacher wants me to do it now and I am trying my best I am a comeback player .......does it any get better ??? Anthony:-(

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. GuitarPlayer05

GuitarPlayer05 New Friend

Apr 17, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    simply put... yes... after practice...

3. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    Start transposing melodies in the Arban's book or the like on sight. You can also pick more difficult etudes and practice them in transposition. Transposing and sight-transposing are two subtly different skills that are very closely related, just as sight-reading is closely related to how comfortable you are with on the instrument.

There are books out there in moving transposition - the Vacchiano book is HARD. I have a lyrical etudes book that is in moving transposition which is great for sight-reading.

Stuart

4. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    it's best to start with simple, familliar tunes at first. Let your ear guide you. It does get easier after some time.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yup, simple tunes. Here I recommend a hymnbook. HUNDREDS of easy generally well known tunes with verses that help us learn to play expressively. Tunes with sorrow all the way to the power and the glory, from heaven to hell. This are the images that the consummate trumpet player has to be able place in the audiences head.

6. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    My trouble with familiar tunes / hymns is that I tend to play by ear instead of really transposing as I play.

It will get better with practice, though. When I played in the college orchestra with only a B-flat trumpet, I got really good at transposing after a couple of months. But that was 30 years ago, and now as a comeback player I find that I need straitforward pieces, and it seems better if I am not too familiar with them. Kind of like a lot of the stuff we played in the orchestra.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have trouble on and off transposing. If I do it a lot, I'm OK. If I don't do it the skill goes away. So, yes, it gets easier.

I learned by doing tunes that I knew using different key trumpets. Then I started taking my C trumpet to the band where all the parts are in B-flat. Then I thought, why? and went back to B-flat.

8. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    There is a terrific set of books published these days by Alfred (used to be Warner Brothers and before that Columbia and originally Belwin-Mills) called Tunes for Cornet Technic. It's part of the Student Instrumental Course and comes in 3 levels, designed to coordinate with their Cornet Student books. These are an excellent set of books for someone to practice transposing from because they start out extremely easy and very limited in range and gradually get more complex rhythmically, pitch-wise and range-wise. Some of the melodies are widely known, others aren't, so for people who play by ear, there are some tunes where that can confirm that you're transposing properly, and the tunes you don't know will force you to think and to transpose properly.

Eric Bolvin has a great book also, which is a bit more complex, called The Really Big Student Song Book, which would also serve as a great transposition book but I think more of the melodies might be more well known making it not as helpful for people who play by ear and can play any melody on any starting pitch. http://www.bolvinmusic.com/publications6.html is the link, then scroll down to the Really Big Songbook.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  9. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    :play:OK everyone thank you for your help sorry I took so long to respond been working on weekends ,you were all helpful ,I also asked my trumpet teacher who is a professonal trumpet player and he said when he learned how to transpose it took him about a year ...so I dont feel too bad I seem to be doing ok :play: Thank you Anthony

10. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    One thing that might be of very great help is to start thinking about notes in terms of intervalic relationships to the key center rather than as absolute "letters". For instance, "Oh when the Saints" in C = "C E F G" instead think "1 3 4 5" (Root, Major 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th). As long as you are familiar with each key, the same numeral intervals will apply across the board. So, "Oh When the Saints" in G for example would still be 1 3 4 5, but the numbers correspond to the key of G, therefore: G B C D And in the key of Bb: 1 3 4 5 is: Bb D Eb F

This is bog standard in the world of Jazz where chord progressions are usually given in roman numeral terms, but the concept is exactly the same.