Transposing Concert Key's to Bb Trumpet? ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GideonRichter, Dec 16, 2011.

1. GideonRichter

GideonRichter New Friend

Oct 23, 2011
    What was that old trick? I know it's 2 semi tones down from concert pitch = Bb trumpet key's...

But there was something told to me at the University of Victoria by a girl in their orchestra that it was like..."Take the last key signature accidental and go 1 down or something...I know that this is wrong, but can you help me make it right?
    Thank you.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Play one tone up and add 2 sharps.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Go up a step and add two sharps (or take away flats if you have them).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  4. GideonRichter

GideonRichter New Friend

Oct 23, 2011
    Ok, well I had a feeling I worded this wrong, but I meant like... In my book, there's all the scales. So let's say, that the scale starts on "A" with Three sharps, FCG. How do I name this Key?

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    The concert pitch of the scale is the last sharp, for major scales. Therefore, it is the Concert G Scale.
    As you note, it starts on A. Concert G is the Bb trumpet's A. Therefore, it is OUR A Major Scale.

A trick to do with sharps to determine the key for Bb pitched instruments (us) instead of concert pitched instruments is to take the last sharp and raise it a step. Since G was the last sharp, A would be our key (for trumpets). This is infinitely more useful to us.

The relative minor would be the minor scale that has the same key signature, but starts on a different note. The relative minor of G Concert, or our A, is based on the sixth scale degree (in major).
    Therefore, if the scale started on F#, it would be our F# minor scale, or the E concert Minor scale.

I hope this is not too confusing, I tried to keep it as simple as possible. If the minor stuff confuses you, just ask about it and I'm sure someone else can explain it more clearly.

PS -- when you get past 7 sharps things get messy. Don't worry about that, because you will likely not encounter it.

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    For flats:

The second to last flat is the key you are in, for major. If you have two flats (Bb and Eb) then you are in the trumpet's Bb Major key. This is concert Ab.

Again, to determine the minor, go to the sixth scale degree (in major). In the example above, we are using the Bb major. The sixth is G. Therefore, the minor key with the same key signature is our G minor (scale starts on G), or F concert minor.

If you only have 1 flat, you are in our key of F major, or concert Eb major; the relative minor is D minor, or C concert minor.

And, of course, if you have no flats or sharps, you are in C major, or Bb concert major; the relative is A minor, or G concert minor.

PS again -- when you get past 7 sharps, things get messy. Again, don't worry, you will not encounter this very often, if at all.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    When transposing to Bb from concert pitch, you must go up one full step, add two sharps and that is your key. If there are flats in the key signature, they are taken away ( by two also). For example if you have one flat in the concert key (F), you add two sharps, but one of the sharps eliminates one of the flats, so you end up with one sharp in the key you need to be playing in, which would be the key of G for the Bb instrument.

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    If you know name of the key you are in, in Concert pitch, you don't have to do anything fancy to get the trumpet key. All you have to do is exactly the same thing that you did when transposing individual pitches.
    That is,

A Concert single note of F = a single Trumpet note of G
    A Concert Key of F = a Trumpet Key of G

This does not have to be any more complicate that this.
    In other words, transposing a note or a key name is the same process - two half-steps up. Period.

9. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    One thing I did is label each exercise in Clarke's Technical Studies with the Major and Relative minor. Then, just before playing them I would say out loud to myself the Major, Minor, and number of flats or sharps. Over time, this should solidify what's what.

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Get a regular church job. Volunteer if you must and read the hymnal's treble clef line. Do this every week. Every Sunday.

In time you'll see a written C and automatically play it with first and third valves. As well as pulling all the rest of the notes up a whole step. It's about repetition, and perseverance. But make it FUN. Play trumpet. Don't "practice". A big difference.