Transposing Concert Key's to Bb Trumpet? ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GideonRichter, Dec 16, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I can name that key in one note! B! What do I win???

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hay everyone! It doesn't get any easier than this. GREAT WAY TO STATE THIS! I have used this approach for years and it is so successful and easy, that I have a difficult time now reading Bb parts!

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We used to call it the old "1+2" rule. I haven't had to do it in a while though. Where's my hymnal??

4. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    I have perfect pitch and the transposed parts always screwed me up so I had to "unlearn" the names of the notes and THAT was the confusing part.

But for teaching - "1+2"!! Nice - I'm stealing that.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    THIEF, THIEF, HELP!!! POLICE, POLICE !!! ROFLROFLROFL My teacher taught me that long ago (since he was teaching trumpeters, he HAD to keep it as simple as possible ROFLROFL). It' so simple, even kingtrumpet can get it!! ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Not sure how the perfect pitch would screw you up when the pitch concert, not Bb trumpet pitch, so wouldn't your perfect pitch know what the concert key is at all times regardless?

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have perfect pitch but never spent the time (work) to identify the notes with the tones when I read the note. When some folks see the note on the page they also hear the note in their head. You can play the note for me and I can tell you what note it is. I've never worked on the former part. Hope that makes sense.

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I would love to say it helps but unfortunately it doesn't. That's OK, as long as it makes sense to someone.